Jumped onto the seadoo boat train!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom is done, makes a much better look!

I have decided that I think I will use 4 8" full range two way Memphis 8" speakers, they have very bright tweeters and great bass. Unsure on amp though. My cost about $250-275 for the speakers.
They are nice and loud!

Update:

Stereo system is going to consist of:

1- Memphis 16-MM4.50 Marine Amp

4 - Memphis 15-MM82 8" Full range Marine Speakers

Clarion cmd6 Head unit

I cannot discuss m cost on these however it has been already stated that these are oing to blow most other systems out of the water I may down the road after hookup add another amp and 2 more 8" and possibly 2-4 6.5" memphis speakers as well.

Lets see how loud I can get!!!!!!!!!

I will be adding a wakeboard tower down the road as well, so that may add 4 more 8" speakers only.

These have great bass if not enough I will possibly add a sub, however a sub on the water does not seem to add huge amounts as in a vehicle or closed cabin.

The tweeters are very very bright on these and sound killer.

You would be shocked how much bass the subs add on these boats. It is a night and day difference. The kickers I used are free air rated, so they use the hull as their air space. They were worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be shocked how much bass the subs add on these boats. It is a night and day difference. The pickers I used are free air rated, so they use the hull as their air space. They were worth it in my opinion.

10's or 12's?

It really depends, as these are 8" full range speakers I am using, I may add a 12 if I do feel the need but I suspect these may produce plenty of bass. Theres not tons of room to add a 12" on the sk 17' footer, honestly no room at all given the front compartment, I would need to fabricate some fiberglass onto the boat to install it.

Honestly I have not ran any 8" full range speakers in a boat yet so this is the first to see how they sound, if they are not enough, trust me a sub will be added.

Any of my own nor customers boats have I tried the 8" full range in yet so this is also a test to see how they are to offer them to customers as well.

You would be surprised how much bass you can actually get out of a 6x9 speaker, I have installed top end ones in boxes that would amaze some people.

I got the same boat you do. Only difference is mine is a 98 and not an SK. I got 2 10" subs. they are kicker free airs, so a bis isnt necessary. They use the hull as the enclosure and they rock. I am thinking of upgrading to 12's over the winter, they will fit in the same spot very easy. Only problem is i would have to switch brands and I like everything to match. So I would have to swap out all my speakers, to probably polk's. Just not sure I wanna spend $500 on it this winter. I will think about it. Here is a pic of where they fi nicely.

257.jpg

Another member, Tresvatos is the one who got me interested and he has 6x9's and really likes them.

You could fit 8 inch speakers where I have the 6 inch speakers easy. I havent heard any memphis speakers. Not many places up here sell marine stuff. I only get to hear something if I see someone out on the water with it. You Florida guys got it made.

You can only cut and drill so many holes before you take away from the structual integrity of the hull, I try to place speakers where they sound best, others may feel it sounds better other places, but I always put high's up top along with full range and subs go down low, If I placed the subs above the 8's it would drown out part of the sound. I may find that I will add subs down the road but for me I would have to build a box, this is partly with the understanding that you can still hit waves and not crack the hull, if I had 4 8's and then 2 12's mounted in the sides it would crack under stress, verything requires carefull placement in a boat.

I only found these speakers by going to a local car audio shop, the jl audio 7.7's I was looking at where almost $300 per set, don't get me wrong they sound very nice however these offer more/better bass and brighter tweeters on them.

The other problem is the weight of the sub, lets say I installed the matching 10" memphis sub, it is very heavy and if installed just into the hull/upper deck it would rip the screws out/crack the fiberglass from the stress, great care must be taken.

These speakers will all be installed the same way as would they on a 40' fountain out at sea jumping 4-6 foot waves to prevent any problems.

Usually all the better higher end speakers have heavyier magnets on them, I stopped buying items just because of a name a long time ago, most times you are just paying for the name sometimes not. Memphis is known but not by all and its surely not carried in any local stores.

As I stated this is also a test for me, once installed I will determain if subs are needed or not, this is also to advertise my work and the audio shops work/equipment.

I will usually only recommend items I have tested myself or have already installed which is one in the same, I have not to date installed any full range 8's, only 6.5's or 6x9's in terms of the largest otherwise small speakers and subs, this is new to try.

Rockford fosgate also makes an 8 full range from what ive heard very nice as well, however their car audio line lost my interest after 2000-2001, they seem to be doing good in marine audio though.

Also note how even some bazzoka speakers are have way desent in marine as well, yet I can show of some junk models as well from almost every manufacture with some exceptions, jl audio, memphis audio, rockford fosgate all 3 seem to have no junk lines, now when looking at all the others for say clarion,jbl,sony,jvc, yadda yadda and oh pioneer, they all have very cheap to ok better ones. Poly planar is another with ok speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back