js 550 just putters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srilla

my 1988 js550 died in the lake the other day. i got it back to shore and it was just puttering. i cleaned out the fuel filter, threw in some dry gas in the tank and she ran great. well it happened again. when i rode it back to shore, i had the throttle pinned but still just a putter?

any ideas?

I always start with checking the compression. If that's good... put in a set of new spark plugs.

When you got back... did you check the engine temp? Any of my old JS skis... I added a pee hole where I can see it. The 88 should have had one on it. (if it's an SX)

Some of the 550's had an issue with the MAG wires getting cut by the flywheel. You may want to pull the MAG cover, and check.

If you have an exhaust leak... it will choke the engine. Did you pull the cover, and notice any extra smoke in the bilge?

Just some random thoughts.

i have not done any of that yet. it actually ran mint. the spark plug wires are taped up with electircal tape and one boot is realll loose. it it possible that one cyclinder isnt turning over? and its a js by the way.

i messed around today with the carb adjustments and it got it to startand run at different RPMs. do you happen to know what the factory carb adjustments are?

Sorry... I don't remember. It's been a while since I worked on a JS. have the manual at my shop. I can post them up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back