Jet pump troubleshoot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bliikala

On a 1999 GTX RFFI, If the jet pump fails (likely due to lack of pump oil), will that cause the engine not to turn over (freeze)? If yes, Is the easiest/best way to tell to remove the jet pump and then try to roll the engine. either by hand or try to start it? Thanks in advance.

Yes, if the pump freezes up because of lack of oil... the engine won't turn either since there is no clutch in the system.

Remove the pump. (a few cables, and bolts on the back) Once it's out of the way, slide the drive shaft out too... and then you can try to start the engine.

WARNING!!!!!

Do not start the engine with the pump out, and the drive shaft stuck in it. If you do, the shaft will swing around, and destroy everything in it's path.

Would this be the same way to check the jet pump in a 94 SPi model? My engine will not crank by hand, new starter, all electrical checked out ok. Have been told it could be the jet pump or a bearing?

Thanks for all of the useful hints and advice on here. This forum is a WEALTH of information, it's awesome!

Jet pump

Hi again, yes thanks for the tip, pulled the jet pump unit off, cone cup was cracked and empty, impellar siezed., I tried to pull the shaft out but could not. Rolled engine just to see if it would roll (without starting) and it did! So I believe it must be the jet pump. I suspect that the simplest thing is to just get a replacement unit (rebuild or new)? Seems you would need special puller and tools, so best leave it to the shop to do. Thanks again for all your help. Thing is I have a twin GTX. Both got dumped off their lift in brutal storm 4 years ago, but I rescued them and ran them until now. I thought the other one was a bad engine but after looking its likely a bad pump too.
ALL the Best
Brian C

You have a fixable pump you can now hand a pro who can hand it back in like new
condition. You saved money by R & R ing it. You would pay about the same just to rent all the pump tools, screw it up, and have to pay even more just to get someone
to sort it out. just my advise to a newby. Ask your pro if he warranties it. Bills86e

Jet pump

Great point!, I'am not real smart but I have been around long enough to know when not tackle something I am not set up for. THanks again, on to the next one to remove that jet pump.
Brian

The pump/drive shaft is the first way to determine if the motor has locked, this is for the inbetween poster from MO, if you move the pump in and out a few times for testing just remember that when you go in after all the trailer/bench tests are good remember to put in the hull seal and apply silicone to the front of the pump - how would I know? a lot of testing and finally got a basket case together only to have a water leak at the dock - thankfully an easy fix.

I have pulled the jet pump out of my 94 SPi and still can only crank the motor via PTO about 1/4 of a turn. Does this mean my motor is shot? Or is there something else to check?

I have tried starting with plugs off (shaft out) only get a clank like it turn 1/4 of the way and stops. Tested solenoid (I have a new starter) and have 12V on all connections EXCEPT the red going from the relay to the starter, it only has 6....could this be the problem?

Thanks for the help! If the motor is shot, I will be selling as is, but am holding out hope that there is another trick to try before I give up.

If you have the plugs out and it turns only partway around then something fell in and jammed the lower end - this could have easily been just a washer from a carb job, remove the carbs and the rotary cover - slowly, try to keep the plate on the motor as you remove the cover - keep this in time as it rotates with the crankshaft. once the rotary cover is off you can look into the holes with a flashlight for something, what you find will delay your ride time, you may be able to just take the motor plate off the rubbers and flip it over to remove something, pour a little kerosene in to flush out stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back