Is this the 215HP 4tech flush port?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carboncow

Looks like I've been reading that it's a threaded port to accept a standard garden hose. Is this the location on my 2007 180C 4Tech?

Is this normally a water pickup for daily cooling? If so I'm wondering how some are putting those nippled quick disconnects on there and leave them...unless water is also picked in the jet water intake too?

IMG_0189-1.jpg

That's a female thread and the hose is male, which fits female. And this is reverse flush, so you're flowing water into the location where water normally would exit.

Funny though, I thought it was on port side of the pump, this is the first one I've seen on starboard side but I haven't seen them all. :)

Warning! If you have water flowing, the engine must be running or else it will be flooded with water!!!! :(:(:(

Yep that is the fresh water flush connect. My 180 came with a quick connect/disconnect adapter installed on the boat. Makes the job a lot easier.

That's a female thread and the hose is male, which fits female. And this is reverse flush, so you're flowing water into the location where water normally would exit.

Funny though, I thought it was on port side of the pump, this is the first one I've seen on starboard side but I haven't seen them all. :)

Warning! If you have water flowing, the engine must be running or else it will be flooded with water!!!! :(:(:(

The diagrams are terrible I've found on this but I agree few look port side too for 4tech.

So if this is also the exit how are people putting quick disconnects on these..would it not obstruct flow too? Some are of the design that would severely obstruct the flow.

Manual is horrible for finding these ports. I spent many times looking for this in the engine compartment before I realized it wasn't in the engine compartment.

I have two 4-tecs, one is on the port hull and the other on the STBD just to the right of the pump....

Looks like I've been reading that it's a threaded port to accept a standard garden hose. Is this the location on my 2007 180C 4Tech?

Is this normally a water pickup for daily cooling? If so I'm wondering how some are putting those nippled quick disconnects on there and leave them...unless water is also picked in the jet water intake too?

View attachment 37820

That''s it, looks exactly like my 06. I was afraid quick connect would restrict flow so I just cuss a lot because getting hose to thread isn't exactly a straight shot....;-(

Quick connect works just fine...no restriction. This quick connect is still a pain. Can't imagine connecting without my quick connect.

I think he is asking if he can leave the quick connect on permanently.... I am unsure so I can't give an honest answer.

I think he is asking if he can leave the quick connect on permanently.... I am unsure so I can't give an honest answer.

A lot of people leave them on, but if the fitting appears to have a large restriction I would advise against this. Isn't it easy to remove?

One way to judge is to sample the temperature of the exhaust components, compare on hose temp to in water temp. None should be so hot you will be burned by touching it. Also, if water is coming from the tell-tale pisser this indicates the j-pipe water jacket is sufficiently full.

Remember, water boils at 212F so there will be no water for cooling if/when temp rises above this temperature, it will be boiled away like Old Faithful.

My quick connect has never comes off and hasn't since before I bought the boat in 2013. The water for keeping the engine cool comes in from the intake grate. Why would a quick connect have any effect on the cooling of the engine? The quick connect reduces the hole diameter by about 1/8 inch but still leaves a hole that is at least 7/8 inch in diameter. I'm not sure this hole has anything to due with cooling the engine when operating the boat.

My quick connect has never comes off and hasn't since before I bought the boat in 2013. The water for keeping the engine cool comes in from the intake grate. Why would a quick connect have any effect on the cooling of the engine? The quick connect reduces the hole diameter by about 1/8 inch but still leaves a hole that is at least 7/8 inch in diameter. I'm not sure this hole has anything to due with cooling the engine when operating the boat.

Seems to make sense if Sea Doo sells them....and for those that say take them off, doesn't that go against the reason for a quick disconnect?

I'm not sure what the OEM solution for a flush kit looks like but there are 101 options on the internet from 6-1ft extension hoses to short little nipple attachments..I've seen others using standard home garden disconnects and that is where my question for reduction comes from. Some of those go down to a really small hole.

If the design of this port is 100% for flushing and doesn't impact operational cooling then I get it. Just seems odd if this is designed for flushing and winterizing that other water entrances and exists would reduce the effectiveness of flushing and getting antifreeze everywhere.

Does this explain why there is no suction alone to pull antifreeze from a bucket and thus a pump must be used to push fluid to the corners of the engine...even when the engine is idling?

My quick connect has never comes off

Quick connects were on our 210 when we purchased the boat last year. Makes flushing the boat so much easier. I plan on leaving them there unless I hear a good reason to remove them. I have not noticed any overheating issues as of yet. I'm pretty anal about monitoring engine temps. I noticed the temps will creep up from 188 to mid 190s when going WOT for short bursts, but she quickly comes back down afterwards.

Quick connects were on our 210 when we purchased the boat last year. Makes flushing the boat so much easier. I plan on leaving them there unless I hear a good reason to remove them. I have not noticed any overheating issues as of yet. I'm pretty anal about monitoring engine temps. I noticed the temps will creep up from 188 to mid 190s when going WOT for short bursts, but she quickly comes back down afterwards.

There is no good reason to remove your quick connect/disconnect. The only reason that port is there is for flushing the engine of salt water and has nothing to do with cooling.

There is no good reason to remove your quick connect/disconnect. The only reason that port is there is for flushing the engine of salt water and has nothing to do with cooling.

Hmm. Based on the diagram in post #4 of this thread http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?83160-Towing-Which-line-to-quot-pinch-off-quot-when-towing I was under the impression that some exhaust water leaves that port while under power.

There's was also a mention of that in post #5 here as well: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?82201-Question-about-where-I-mounted-exhaust-cooling-cut-off-valve

But there's always the chance that I misinterpreted each.

Seems to make sense if Sea Doo sells them....and for those that say take them off, doesn't that go against the reason for a quick disconnect?

I'm not sure what the OEM solution for a flush kit looks like but there are 101 options on the internet from 6-1ft extension hoses to short little nipple attachments..I've seen others using standard home garden disconnects and that is where my question for reduction comes from. Some of those go down to a really small hole.

If the design of this port is 100% for flushing and doesn't impact operational cooling then I get it. Just seems odd if this is designed for flushing and winterizing that other water entrances and exists would reduce the effectiveness of flushing and getting antifreeze everywhere.

Does this explain why there is no suction alone to pull antifreeze from a bucket and thus a pump must be used to push fluid to the corners of the engine...even when the engine is idling?

I think the concern is if the quick connector isn't substantially restrictive there won't be harm in leaving it attached. Some aftermarket Wal-Mart hose quick-adapters might be restrictive, who knows?

The entire exhaust system is cooled by water supplied by the jet pump impeller tap. Without this you will have a red-hot exhaust system, there's quite a bit of heat absorbed by the water and the total volume is I would guess 2x that of your typical garden hose, roughly.

If you want to flush the exhaust using antifreeze, you can use a bilge pump or possibly hold a tank of antifreeze up high enough to gravity feed into the port.

At the shop we use an open-top antifreeze catch tank on a cart that rolls up under the trailer. This cart has a car battery on it with a large bilge pump and holds about 20 gallons of the pink RV antifreeze. We connect the bilge pump hose to the flush port and start the ski, then turn on the bilge pump and allow the engine to run for a couple minutes. While running, antifreeze pumped into the flush port exits from the jet pump and exhaust then falls right back into the catch tank underneath the trailer and gets recirculated through the ski and gets recirculated. We have an optical antifreeze tester to sample the freeze temperature of the juice falling back into the tank, to determine when the desired protection concentration is achieved.

I'm not sure if your shop procedure specifies how or if you need to flush using antifreeze but that's how we winterize jet skis, by using the flush port connected to our antifreeze tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also another way that might work is to suck from the flush port remaining water out using a shop vac. It's not something I've tried so I can't say for sure but I'd be cautious if this can remove all the water from the intercooler.

So you're on your own with this idea but it might work fine.

I use a standard hose disconnect but remove it for boating. My 2009 180 se port is on the port side. It has nothing to do with engine per se cooling as it is a closed antifreeze system. Cycling of the lake water is very very crucial to cooling the exhaust system _ not sure how relevant this port is for that cooling if at all, but i do know that the jet pump is critical to pushing the cooling water thru the exhaust cooling sytem. I once had a dock rope wrapped on mine and with the severe cavitation it overheated and melted the main intake plumbing flooding the hull.

I use a standard hose disconnect but remove it for boating. My 2009 180 se port is on the port side. It has nothing to do with engine per se cooling as it is a closed antifreeze system. Cycling of the lake water is very very crucial to cooling the exhaust system _ not sure how relevant this port is for that cooling if at all, but i do know that the jet pump is critical to pushing the cooling water thru the exhaust cooling sytem. I once had a dock rope wrapped on mine and with the severe cavitation it overheated and melted the main intake plumbing flooding the hull.

Yes, perhaps we should mention many of the boats actually have two flush ports, either one of which can be used and they both perform the same function. Not sure why seadoo felt it necessary, they could've saved a few bucks and simplified.

My Sportster for example, has the same standard jet ski type of port on the jet pump where cooling water normally exits during operation and in addition 2nd flush port that remains plugged normally, up high on the deck. If this 2nd port wasn't plugged during operation, the boat might take on water deck side, certainly this one up high on the deck should be plugged during operation. For my purposes though, this one's in an inconvenient position so I don't use it, the flush port on the pump is my preference if/when flushing and it should be left open during normal operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back