Is there some kind of gasket between the small oil tank assembly and the fill plug?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasguild

I recently changed my oil filter between the main tank and small oil tank. As instructed I then took off the fill plug for the small tank and run the engine until the oil level went back up. Everything went well or so I thought. When I took out the boat, and reached my destination, I took a peak at the engine (as I always do) just to make sure everything looked good. I saw oil in the bottom of the boat. I had cleaned out all the spill from the purge so I knew something was wrong.

Upon restarting the engine I saw oil trickling from the top of the small oil tank. I tried tightening the fill plug but that did not stop it. I inspected the fill plug and I am guessing that there must have been some kinda gasket seated between the bottle and the fill plug. In my rush to get the fill plug on during the purge may have fallen off. I have looked everywhere in the bottom of the boat but cant find it.

Please confirm that there is some kinda gasket that goes between the bottle and the fill plug. Also please give me an idea what kinda gasket is there so I can start hunting for a replacement. I am guessing a round rubber gasket just from the shape of the cavity on the top of the bottle where the fill plug screws in. I am praying I don't have to buy a whole tank assembly. Unfortunately all the mercury diagrams do not treat this fill plug as separate item.

If you are referring to the cap, with the wires coming out of it... yes, there is a rubber/cork gasket.

Also... on the mercury oil systems... they operate via pressure from the engine. IF, you have a leak... you could starve the engine of oil. make sure... 100% all leaks are sealed.

Dr Honda

Not the one with wires. It's the plug next to it I am inquiring about. I believe it is just for fill.

Please see the attached pics

20140414_223325.jpg20140414_223348.jpg20140414_223357.jpg20140414_223929.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry... I was thinking about the older (pre 2002) engines.

But yes, that should have a small rubber gasket also. Unfortunately... I didn't see the part listed separately. (looks like the cap comes with the tank) You nay have to call Mercury to get the part number. I will continue to look, to see if I can find it.

Was on the phone all morning with mercury. Unfortunately, they could not find a part number or even a specs for the gasket. They even pulled the engineering drawings and had no luck. They said its part of the tank assembly and not separately identified. So I now have to find a replacement on my own.

Dr Honda or anyone else, if it is not asking too much, can you take a look and let me know if that rubber gasket is o-ring style or like a flat washer? A picture would also be greatly appreciated. I am assuming you have a similar engine like mine.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely

As I recall... it's a flat washer. You can get square, or "X" section type O-rings. They will work fine. If you use a round one... it may roll out when it's tightened.

Measure the OD on the threads, and the OD on the flange. I have some X-rings sitting around. If I have something that will work... I'll send you a couple.

Hi Dr. honda

The thread OD is 13mm and the flange OD is 22mm

I was able to confirm that it is a flat washer type that was originally in there. Is there an advantage with using one type of rubber ring versus another? THanks again

Sincerely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back