Is it safe to jump start from Noco GB150 booster pack?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a Noco GB150 smart booster pack to keep in my truck, with boating season finally here I figured when I launch my boat I should take it with me, in case my boat battery dies in the middle of the lake while I'm listening to music or something. I always charge my boat battery and make sure its in very good condition before putting it into the boat, but I'm wondering in the case of an emergency where the battery dies as I'm listing to music in the middle of the lake is it safe to jump start the boat using the Noco GB150 smart booster pack or would that fry the mpem on my 1996 Seadoo Challenger?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks in advance for all the help!

If the Noco GB150 is just a 12v source I can't see it causing harm to the mpem. It would be the same as carrying around and connecting a fully charged battery to the battery leads.

No, absolutely no booster packs or boosting!
The MPEM's in these boats are getting rare and expensive so don't do anything that could fry one ever.

A maintainer like a Battery tender is perfectly fine but again you should disconnect the negative from the battery to be safe.

A maintainer like a Battery tender is perfectly fine but again you should disconnect the negative from the battery to be safe.
I have a Noco Maintainer/ Tenderer that i take my battery out of the boat/ ski and have it on all of winter, so they stay in good shape.

For what it's worth, I always carry a fully charged PWC battery with me. Particularly if I'm going any distance or plan on playing music all day. It hasn't happened yet, but the plan is to do a quick swap of cables and head home. From a purely humanitarian standpoint, I've loaned the battery out twice when guys had their jet ski batteries puke out on them. I've almost paid for the battery and free beers

I checked on that booster model you have and it's not really a booster in the sense of one for car batteries that boosts way over and above 12v to start an extremely cold car. The Noco says it's only 12.8v which should be fine.

I checked on that booster model you have and it's not really a booster in the sense of one for car batteries that boosts way over and above 12v to start an extremely cold car. The Noco says it's only 12.8v which should be fine.
Are you willing to risk a $1,000 MPEM on a booster that might not fry it?

I keep a booster in my boat because sometimes the stereo gets played for hours. I've probably used it a half dozen times. Zero problems with the MPEM. I've used it on a variety of jet skis. No problems there either.

For what it's worth, I always carry a fully charged PWC battery with me. Particularly if I'm going any distance or plan on playing music all day. It hasn't happened yet, but the plan is to do a quick swap of cables and head home. From a purely humanitarian standpoint, I've loaned the battery out twice when guys had their jet ski batteries puke out on them. I've almost paid for the battery and free beers
I think this is the route I will go, or spend the extra time to do a full permanent installation of a second battery in the boat, and have it as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back