Is 90hp enough to pull a skier?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanewb

I’m looking at a new model GTI. I’m never owned a jet ski. My wife wants to ski behind it, but I’m unsure the 90hp engine is up to the job. Let’s assume there will always be 2 people on the ski when towing a skier.

Is a 90hp up to the job? What about tubing?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Sean, we wakeboard behind a 90hp spark and can reasonably tow inflatables - it struggles when you have 3 adults on one inflatable. Haven’t managed to get up on mono ski behind the spark but can get up on two and then drop. This could be due to inexperience on our part though.

I would consider the GTI SE with the 130 hp engine if you are going to pull an adult skier behind it. Ideally the Wake 155 would be your choice given the standard electronics. You would have to weigh adding the ski module, ski pylon, upgraded engine against the basic 155 Wake. I think it's about $1,000 difference.

Also check your state laws. Most states will only allow you to tow one person because you have to have a place for the skier to sit, the flagger and the driver.

Get the 90 and tune to 110.. big difference. We sell the tuning package.

I’m looking at a new model GTI. I’m never owned a jet ski. My wife wants to ski behind it, but I’m unsure the 90hp engine is up to the job. Let’s assume there will always be 2 people on the ski when towing a skier.

Is a 90hp up to the job? What about tubing?

Thanks for the help.
Depends on the size of your wife.

to directly answer your question, yes. you can absolutely pull a skier with 90hp- and easily at that. I've been pulling my teenage son with a 3000 lb 75hp pontoon boat on water skies for years! you'll just feel the skier's weight a little more on the corners with the lighter seadoo chassis. same with tubing; 2 person tube for both kids- no problem for 90 hp. you'll just feel the tubes weight pulling back on the chassis around corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back