Intermittent dess and running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaeC1

Hey Guys! New member but have made use of plenty of helpful forums on here.

I have a 2005 Seadoo Wake 155 with a 4-tec. I have owned it for a couple of years and has always run great. A couple of months ago I had a relative adventure up a river on it, who ended up in a bad spot and ingested some stones into the jet unit. It was alright for them to idle it back to the ramp but any acceleration caused the ski to violently rattle. I pulled the jet unit, removed the rock and replaced the wear ring. Stumped as to wether or not the aggressive vibration is related but went to start it up again after reassembling and had no power to the cluster and would not crank over, could not get anything out of it that day. Next day, everything came on (double beep) and started up as usual. I took her out onto the water and after roughly 20 minutes of smooth running, the ski cut and I couldn’t get anything to happen. After a while I got life back out of it but it would only just idle and wouldn’t respond to throttle. I pulled off and cleaned all grounds and positive wires I could access followed by cleaning all connections (including 2 plugs on mpem) with electrical cleaner then filling with dielectric grease.

That doesn’t seem to have helped. Fast forward to today, same thing, I would get about 20 minutes of no issues before the ski would cut. I’d manage to get it going again but applying throttle has little to no response. After allowing it to sit for an hour, I’d get another 2 minutes riding time before bumping back into the same issue. It seems to get worse as the day goes by, sometimes nothing happening when putting the key on the post and sometimes killing the engine when the key is removed but the dash stays on and the ski beeps randomly with no pattern. When the ski starts but is in its sort of rough ‘limp mode’ the rpm and speed do not register on the gauges.

The dess post is clean and tests fine with a multimeter, the engine is not overheating and won’t be limp mode due to low oil/fuel. I am wondering if the vibration may have caused a fracture in the mpem somewhere that is expanding/contracting as it heats up and cools down.

The JetSki side of mechanical/electrical is fairly new to me and I’m not sure what my next steps should be, I believe in trying the most basic things first. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I would change the DESS post because it is easy to plug another one in under the hood.

The vibration caused when something is stuck in the pump is normal and shouldn't cause any other issues. The skis are made to take a pounding from waves so very unlikely anything you've done has caused the issues.

It could be an mpem or ECU problem which are more difficult to test.

I would change the DESS post because it is easy to plug another one in under the hood.

The vibration caused when something is stuck in the pump is normal and shouldn't cause any other issues. The skis are made to take a pounding from waves so very unlikely anything you've done has caused the issues.

It could be an mpem or ECU problem which are more difficult to test.
Hey ski-d00, thank you for your reply. Hasn’t been letting me reply to you. I pulled the dess post out and tested it with the key, the ip chip seemed happy resistance wise although the reed switch was showing around 300 ohms of resistance and intermittent continuity. Have another dess post on the way.
Cheers

New dess post arrived, tested across the reed switch at 0.2 ohms. Pretty black and white looking back at it. Ski is going great. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back