installing nav equipment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dino1

I just got the sea doo utopia and wanted to install a compass and a garmin 440 chartplotter. not much room for both. I was wondering if someone has any ideas on some different ways to install both possibly using the windshield support for the garmin? And what would be the best way to pick up power for both these? Does anyone also have any advise in drilling the holes as well.

Thanks for the help

Hey Dino, I have a new 200 speedster, and in the area of the cooler seadoo left a pair of wires to connect a depth guage. The positive+ is a purple wire and the ground- is a black wire. I'll take a look around in the manual to see if our 2 boats are similar in location. I know on all seadoo models the purple is always a hot wire+ and the black is always ground-. You could always pull power from one of the accessories so when the dess(Digitally Electronic Security System) is on the lanyard it will work only when the power is applied and keep your battery from losing charge, if you forget to turn off the accessories. I installed a depth finder on my 1997 challenger and used the same power from the other accessories. As far as location, it is up to the best visual spot for you preference.

Karl

Power?

The only question I'd have here is, how much power does the Garmin and chartplotter draw. The electronic systems on these engines need a lot to run. So if you take off to much voltage from the operating systems of the engine, you may run into some problems, although I think that may be unlikely. Only because the stereo systems themselves use quite a bit.
Question? If you are having an installation problem, have you thought about the handheld GPS models, using chartplotters? I've seen some for about $500 bucks and over. I've seen some really nice ones that when you didnt' need it, could just stow it in the glove box..............just a thought.

The GPS units and the Compass units( light only) use very little power I think my Garmin GPS draws like a 5 amp fuse or something really small. It shouldn't be a big concern for power. It's a good idea to check it though.

Karl

The only question I'd have here is, how much power does the Garmin and chartplotter draw. The electronic systems on these engines need a lot to run. So if you take off to much voltage from the operating systems of the engine, you may run into some problems, although I think that may be unlikely. Only because the stereo systems themselves use quite a bit.
Question? If you are having an installation problem, have you thought about the handheld GPS models, using chartplotters? I've seen some for about $500 bucks and over. I've seen some really nice ones that when you didnt' need it, could just stow it in the glove box..............just a thought.

I agree hand held as it can be taken other places as well. like in doors out of weather and away from thiefs. :agree:

I hate hand helds...thay are too small and no real navigation systems. I own 4 GPS's all Garmin's

Hand helds....

I got a new cataloge day before yesterday and they've come along way. But like you said, it depends on what you need.
If I had a cabin cruiser or some other type large boat, then a permanent fix chartplotter would be a welcomed addition. But a mounted receiver and display on an open boat under 24 foot, seems it would be more trouble than it would be worth..........just my opinion. And we all know where opinions come from...............:rofl:

If you run at night or in low visibility you want a larger screen with full functions. It has saved me a ton of times.

Karl

Thanks!

Hey guys
thanks for the suggestions. I did get them in with no problems it worked out great. I am sure that I will have more questions once I get out in the boat. Thanks again for the help

Dino1

GPS/Sounder

Thought i might post some pics of my own install for you all to see, maybe it might help someone. Have found it to be a great place for the main unit but took some juggling and spacers to make sure the gear lever was clear of the screen when in forward. Transducer is mounted under the front of the ski hatch, just had to remove the netting and refit once i was finished, took some time to unclip the netting but got there in the end. Used some 2 part epoxy to glue it to the hull right in the centre, lost some sensitivity but still works well.

Attachments

• 22032008 0311.jpg
    22032008 0311.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 22032008 0321.jpg
    22032008 0321.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 68
I would think you 'd mount the transducer in the rear of the hull so it would be in the correct water depth all the time.

I found that when i am serching for fishing spots i am going slow enough to keep the hull down and that having it foward i am seeing what is directly under my chair rather than what i have already gone past. it works well upto about 20 knots but auto switches to 200khz at that speed, as soon as i slow down it switches back to 50khz.

For that application that's ferfect. I use mine so when I cut into uncharted water at speed it will indicate the depth at the rear, which is the only thing in the water over 50 mph. Other wise it registers nothing if it was placed in any other location for me.

Karl

Karl, Could you share where you mounted the transducer in the rear? I too would like to know depth while travelling at speed. Thanks. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back