Installed new wear ring and impeller now won't crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

icemancoyz71

I installed a new wear ring and impeller on my 06 Challenger 180 and now it kind of binds up and won't crank. I thought I did it right but anyone might have a quick idea of what might have happened.

Thanks for any help!

Probably pinched the thrust bearing/washer or you got the impeller on too tight.

With the pump off you should be able to tell what's binding. There should be end play in pump shaft, about 1/8 inch or you did not get the thrust washer seated. Did you take the shaft out of pump? I left mine alone since I did not want to damage the seals.

If it's not that perhaps it's just a tight fit with impeller and ring, which is good. Oil it down and give it a few turns to loosen it enough to allow engine to start. It will soon wear down and seat impeller.

I did that once, and it was the pinched washer. It should spin freely when you have it all lined up and assembled.

Sometimes the plastic pumps distort when tightened down and the wear ring binds against the impeller. Loosen the four 10mm nuts that hold the pump against the hull about a turn. Then start the engine and slowly tighten the nuts. The impeller will size the wear ring. I usually run the water hose into the intake grate to prevent the wear ring from melting.

Chester

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually run the water hose into the intake grate to prevent the wear ring from melting.
Chester

A good suggestions. Just remember that you'll need one hose feeding the engine cooling water while the engine is running and a different hose feeding the intake grate.

A good suggestions. Just remember that you'll need one hose feeding the engine cooling water while the engine is running and a different hose feeding the intake grate.

I don't usually bother as it takes less than 30 seconds to tighten the pump bolts.

Chester

Thanks guys for all the help. I did check the impeller and wear ring clearance and the impeller is trying to seat the wear ring but I think since I bought an aftermarket wear ring it is pretty snug and it was binding up. I think this week I am just going to have to trim just a little where the impeller keeps getting stuck since the engine can't even turn it yet. I put the impeller tool on and put it in a vice and I can't even hardly turn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back