I'm the "guy" at the docks...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad101

Turn your phone cameras on. You're all in for a show. Prior to today, I've never owned (or rode on) a wave runner; let alone backed up a trailer. :thumbsup:

I catch on quick, but I'm in dire need of information and Google is not playing nice.

I have some questions, and this looks like a great forum full of knowledgeable members. I'm a little grief stricken about "premium members" only section though, skis cost allot. The quicker I find the information I'm seeking in the "free" forums, the sooner I'll stop pissing you off at the docks and on the water.

Safe riding everyone.

Hi, and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

It's O.K., we were all new to this at one time, go ahead and ask your questions.

If you have already purchased a SeaDoo it would help us for you to put your ski and year in your profile, if you haven't that's O.K. too.

Also use the proper section to ask your questions, 2-stroke PWC questions is for early to early 2000's skis. And the 4-tek is for later models with 4-stroke engines.

I would also suggest to get a feel for the forum before becoming a Premium Member. It's mostly the same benefits but a Premium Membership is largely just a way of showing support for the forum.

Lou

Added:
Trailering is not so difficult either, really it's just common sense, basically when backing a trailer you turn your vehicle the opposite way you want the trailer to go. I would suggest practicing in your drive way or a parking lot before you go to the ramp.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you cant say you turn your vehicle the opposite way you want the trailer to go. Thats not necessarily true.

You want me to explain this on the internet? Now you're really sounding ridiculous. So you mean to tell me that all I need to do is turn the wheel the opposite way to back up a trailer? So I will never have the wheel turned the same way as Im backing up the trailer?

I think you're the one who is being ridiculous, you criticize but then you have no answer or alternate way of backing up a trailer. You will also notice I told Chad to practice in his driveway or a parking lot.

I would suggest in the future if you have nothing constructive to say just say nothing.

Lou

You're telling a guy a very vague way to back up a trailer, which could make it very confusing. Im not gonna sit here and type a story on how to back up a trailer.

You want me to explain this on the internet? Now you're really sounding ridiculous. So you mean to tell me that all I need to do is turn the wheel the opposite way to back up a trailer? So I will never have the wheel turned the same way as Im backing up the trailer?

Yeah you will.
When going in straight line.

OP follow Lou's advice practice in big empty lot.
Step #1 Go Slow
Step #2 Make small corrections, turning steering wheel opposite to where you want trailer to go.
Step #3 Pull Foreword to straighten out to prevent jack knifing trailer if over corrected.
Step #4 Adhere to Step #1 at all times.

If you have more trouble when ski is not on trailer, loser tail gate if your towing with truck.
Or get guide posts out PVC so you can see trailer........

Ok you win the internet, congratulations. Let the guy figure it out for himself. You can't learn how to back up a trailer by reading something someone wrote you.

True, but the best way to learn is by doing what Lou suggested.....practice, practice, practice.

Some people use their rearview mirror to see where the trailer is going. I like to keep my left hand on the steering wheel (at the 12 o'clock position) and half turn around to look out the back window.
Go slow so any corrections can be made before you jack knife the trailer (although it will happen eventually).

You won't be a pro at it your first dozen times or so, just be patient and you'll learn.

Tim,

Congrats, that's the best answer I've heard.

Lou

Chad 101,

Sorry this thread got out of hand, please don't let this scare you off, this is usually a very civil group. The purpose of the meet and greet section is usually for a new member just to introduce himself and ask a general question or two. So in order to maintain peace I am going to close this thread.

Please continue to ask questions and hopefully we will be able to provide answers. Just post them in the appropriate sections.

Welcome,

Lou

True, but the best way to learn is by doing what Lou suggested.....practice, practice, practice.

Some people use their rearview mirror to see where the trailer is going. I like to keep my left hand on the steering wheel (at the 12 o'clock position) and half turn around to look out the back window.
Go slow so any corrections can be made before you jack knife the trailer (although it will happen eventually).

You won't be a pro at it your first dozen times or so, just be patient and you'll learn.

You have gotten some great tips from those above. This one I like for those that are not used to backing with mirrors. My old man used to tell me to look over your shoulder and put your hand at the bottom of the wheel if you find yourself turning the wrong way. Top of the wheel if you find yourself turning the correct way.

With all the new gadgets like power mirrors and backup cams, here are some simple tips that seem obvious, but you may not use.

1. Get some guide posts on your trailer, or something that will allow you to see it while backing if you have a larger tow vehicle.
2. If you have an SUV, pop open the rear hatch. You will be able to see the trailer much better.

3. if you can see the trailer, or fenders in your side mirrors at the same time, use them, it will help you maintain how straight you are with minimal overcorrection
4. slow speed, and small wheel movements will get you down a ramp in one shot. If given a choice, most would rather see one slow back, then 20 hurried jacknives.
5. Get into a routine on the landing. It will keep you from forgetting things, and also puts you in a comfort zone that lets you free up your mind for the task at hand, and not what you may have forgotten
6. Get a partner into that same routine with their own responsibilities. Everything is smoother with a routine.

Good luck, and have fun.

The post on here are from people that MAY have backed a trailer in a few thousand times.I used to teach water skiing so I was at the ramp EVERY day.Every thing they said was pretty true.Practice,Will never beat words.You don't need posts.Yes they make it easier,BUT.If you cant see it,Its bloody well behind you.Or gone.

Backing a trailer is a natural thing for me and I've tried before to explain how but it never seems to help to repeat all the procedures like turning the opposite direction and whatever other advice or phrases I've heard and repeated.

I can put the trailer exactly where I want it ONLY IF I can see the trailer.
You might say that if you can't see the trailer through either mirror, then it's straight behind and that's true except a short trailer is the most difficult to back because it may be directly behind and 5 ft backing could be tagging the bumper.

A spotter helps, work out the hand signals before hand.

Otherwise:
OP follow Lou's advice practice in big empty lot.
Step #1 Go Slow
Step #2 Make small corrections, turning steering wheel opposite to where you want trailer to go.
Step #3 Pull Foreword to straighten out to prevent jack knifing trailer if over corrected.
Step #4 Adhere to Step #1 at all times.

And a couple other steps:
Step #5 Go slow
Step #6 Pull forward
Step #7 Try to minimize the necessary backing distance, but too much minimization can make it impossible to get the proper angle(s) in the required distance(Great excuse for pulling forward).
Step #8 Don't forget to keep your boat attached to the winch stand otherwise your boat may slide off the trailer onto the concrete ramp.
Step#9 Make sure to install bilge drain plug before backing into water.

Step#8 Go play some billiards?

Edit: Don't try maneuvering your tow-vehicle+trailer rig through a complete 360 inside your garage, there isn't enough room.

the way i learned to back up a trailer was backing it in and out of my driveway.. i didnt want to be a hindrance to those at the boat ramp waiting for "this ahole" to back in his trailer..

a buddy told me for the first dozen times to stick both your hands at 6 oclock on the wheel with your thumbs pointing away from each other and if you wanted the rear of the trailer to turn in the direction where your left thumb was pointing then you would have to turn the wheel in the direction of where your thumb was pointing..seams pretty simple but hey, it worked for me.. now i can back up with only one hand while watching where my trailer is going. you really have to be in a comfort zone and have a feel for your trailer and how it will react with your truck/car.

every time i backed into my drive way i would pull out and go around the block and line up a different way so i would get the feel for different angles and situations.

i cant stress enough.. patience and moving SLOWLY.. even still after a few years if im going a little above my comfortable speed which is more then about 4-5 mph in reverse then its TOO easy to over correct or under correct and end up jack knifed.

OH!! and if you feel like your getting jack knifed.. dont pull away and abort the mission!! just pull forward a few feet to straighten the trailer parallel to the tow vehicle and then give it another go.. you may have to do this a couple times but thats how you really learn how to back up a trailer!!!

even looking at a video or reading posts like these there really is no way to teach someone over the internet. the best and really only way to learn is to get out and practice.

I also suggest your first few times try to go to the ramp at off times so you don't have the added psychological pressure of 20 people watching you and making you nervous. The shorter the trailer the more difficult, because it reacts more to wheel turns. My longer boat trailer is much easier to back up than my shorter ski trailer. Like Lou said, go to a parking lot and practice before going to the ramp.

OK.Go to a big car park.Put your other car in a spot.Now practice backing the trailer in beside it.I bet you wont hit it!

Also, turn your car radio down while backing and roll your windows down so you can clearly hear the screams of bystanders and the crunching of fenders against the dock posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back