Ideas To Make Me Faster (96 Seadoo Xp)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance 96 XP 800

I Have A 96 Seadoo Xp......what Are Some Ways To Make My Ski Faster?....love The Thing The Hull Is Great But W/ These Newer Skis I Cant Keep Up!

you can spend thousands trying to beat the new models and not do it. IN the end speed costs money! nozzles, pipes, heads, rev limiter, carbs, porting, big bore motors, the list is endless!

How slow is it? Mine is faster than anything I have been around. Which is not many, but several that are newer than mine with larger engines.

Are you sure your wear ring is in good shape?

I honestly am scared when mine hits top speed, even on smooth water. It is just shy of 60 mph and that is TOO fast for me on the water. Gets there in about 3-4 seconds, too. I usually just do it in a short burst just to let everyone else know that I CAN mean business if I need to...:reddevil:

Only mods I have are newly rebuilt carbs without chokes, which probably isn't worth much for speed. My wear ring has only about 20 hours on it.

When I did my wear ring, I also replaced all the seals around the drive shaft, and on the jet, and all together cost me under $200. Did the work myself, not too difficult, took one day (had to let the sealants dry overnight before I could use it). Actual work was about 2 hours because I pinched the thrust bearing and had to get on here, ask around, and do it twice...I could do it again in less than an hour. This was my first time.

Tell me this...When you hit your gas, full throttle from a stand still, does the XP leave the water, literally? It should jump completely out of the water, you will hear the jet sucking air and the engine revving free for a brief moment before it lands back in the water.

Or does it sorta spin in place slowly taking off? You should be able to be at full speed in less than 5 seconds. If it takes longer, you may need a new ring.

You could also measure the gap between the ring and the impeller, it should be no more than .040". Check those out before you sink the money into it.

If you end up needing to replace it, do a search on here. There is LOTS of really good documentation on how to do it, and where you are likely to hit difficulties.

Mine took about 30 seconds to reach top speed, and would spin forever before it took off. If I made a turn, it would almost come to a complete stop before I could rev it back up and get it moving in the new direction. I could see a VERY large gap, and measured the wear ring after I had it disassembled, it was at .180" or something rediculous like that.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it back into the water with a new ring in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back