I sucked up some rocks in my gxp.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhogle83

I am a new owner of a 2010 seadoo gxp x 260. I got a little to close to shore they other day and sucked up some small sand and small rocks. Is there a easy and efficient way to get this done without taking it to the shop?.

Just wanted to point out that you didn't mention anything wrong.
Is there a vibration?
Does it fail to start up?
Do you see rocks if you look up into the inlet grate?

Sometimes small rocks and sand get sucked up and don't do any real damage other than scrapes in the path of the water flow.

It does start up. But only goes like 5mph and vibrates when you give it gas. I looked in the intake and couldn't feel anything or see anything. I did try and give it gas and rock it back and forth.

There are probably stones stuck between the impeller blades or a lot of damage to the impeller.
If you can't fix it yourself, a dealer will be happy to lighten you by about $600-700 USD for parts and labor.
If thats the repair, insist on a new wear ring too. Then you'll be able to ride it like you stole it again.

Don't run it anymore until you fix it. You'll do more damage to the drive shaft and possibly engine bearings?

One more thing, after I did the same thing to my 2012 RXT 260, I learned that the key belongs off the post when in < 3 feet of water.

Ok how do I look more into the impeller?. Do I just take the back cover off and look in it?. Take it out of the water?. I am clueless on how to fix it and dont wanna take it to repair shop?. I have it on a floating lift In the water.

Obviously it's got to be out of the water! If on a lift you should be able to look in from the rear, with a pen light, and see any large items stuck between the impeller blades. From the rear should also allow you to see if the wear ring (plastic bushing designed to be destroyed in cases like this to prevent even more expensive damage) is shredded.

You have four choices; (1) Repair it yourself if you have mechanical skills and the ability to follow directions in a repair manual. (2) take it to a repair shop or dealership and pay the price. (3) Sell it at scrap price to somebody willing to get it fixed. (4) park it in the back yard and let the weeds and bushes grow up around it.

A guest of my wife started our GTR in too shallow of water and sucked up some rocks that got stuck in the impeller. There was still enough thrust that they could limp home, but they got an overheat warning probably due to the cooling intake not being properly pressurized with all the cavitation.

The labor to pull the pump and replace the impeller and wear ring was not too difficult as a DIY project. It was about $350 in parts.

You can see some of the rocks that were wedged in the impeller and some of the others that I pulled out. I cannot imagine how that larger rock in the 2nd photo got through the impeller to become lodged between the impeller and the vanes on the output side.

Note that except for the one rock stuck on the output side, none of the other rocks were visible looking into the nozzle from the back. So you might not see any. I confirmed they were stuck in there by pulling the intake grate and reaching in and feeling with my hand (on a trailer).

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

Last edited:
Ok how do I look more into the impeller?. Do I just take the back cover off and look in it?. Take it out of the water?. I am clueless on how to fix it and dont wanna take it to repair shop?. I have it on a floating lift In the water.

No need to pull the reverse gate just to inspect - there is a sequence to put the IBR gate actuator into manual mode without the engine running so you can get it to lift out of the way to see into the rear nozzle. Check the owner's manual or search the interwebs. I think it involves holding the reverse lever all the way for 5 seconds with the key in, but the engine not running, then using the trim buttons to adjust the position.

Had the motor been stopped at the first moment the rocks were sucked in and you were towed back in, you may have been able to dislodge the rocks from the intake side with a long bent pry bar, without severly scoring the wear ring. ( I remove the plugs so I can rotate the prop) . Or, you may have to remove the pump, pull out the rocks, and the wear ring may still be intact. If not, you can save some money and take the pump to dealer ( etc) , to have them replace the wear ring, ( this will save you buying the prop removeal tool). With that much horse power, usually, the prop will spin and gouge and tear the wear ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back