hydrolocked on flush hose, now no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobins75

So ski was flushed on the hose and motor quit for a minute. left hose running, couldnt get ski started, wouldnt turn. realized a couple days later what happened and I pulled the plugs and turned it over to evacuate the water. tried to fire it off but plugs kept getting fouled w water. It had spark at that point. my in-line tester wouldnt fit these plugs, and it was dark at this point, so I just sat the plugs next to the cylinders and turned it over and saw good spark. Even one of the cylinders fired off and flames shot out. Now no spark at all. I assume I did something stupid and probably fried the mpem or something w the sparks. Also, fuel pump quit too. checked all fuses, none blown. cleaned grounds, still no go. turns over great, but no fire or fuel. I just filled the cylinders w 2 stroke oil to be safe. no clue how to diagnose this. Oil in crankcase is milkshake. not sure if i should suck that oil out and replace or just wait. cant heat up the ski w no spark. any ideas or suggestions?

2006 Seadoo GTX 4tec SC.

thanks

You definitely have water in the intake manifold, cylinders, and crankcase. The good news is that it is fresh water at least - I had salt water in mine, but I won’t go into that (you can read my posts from one year ago that actually ended well - I didn’t follow everything in the manual from page 10, but it was similar and effective). But you also have another problem with no spark or fuel pump.

I suggest you reference the shop manual, but a shortcut that a very experienced jetski mechanic taught me is to use a wet/dry shop vac. Pull all your spark plugs out, and hold the shop vac hose tight over each spark plug hole as someone cranks the engine over for 15 seconds on each hole. Probably good to let the starter rest a bit, then do it again for all 3 cylinders. Do this at least 2 or 3 times for each cylinder until you are comfortable you are not seeing additional water Being sucked out of each cylinder. You don’t have fuel, but pull your throttle lever on the handle bar wide open to make sure you are not cycling the fuel injectors when cranking over the engine. This will get the water out of your intake and cylinders pretty well, without the added effort of pulling off the intake like the manual suggests. It worked great for me, and is quick and easy. With that complete, I would do your first oil and filter change... you will need to do another oil change later when you get it running and boil out any residual water with the oil cap off.

With the water out of your intake and cylinders, and fresh oil in the crankcase, you can diagnose your no fuel and spark issue at home or at a repair shop. There are hopefully others that are more experienced to suggest how to diagnose your no spark and no fuel pump - and review the shop manual for that too.

Once you are running, you can go back to the boil out procedure. I idled my ski for about 2 hours on the river with a roll of paper towels to use, partially covering the oil filler opening, with my seat unlatched and pushed way back so the engine was exposed. It was uncomfortable, but it worked. I saw my oil filler tube go a milky beige color after about 45 minutes, steam stopped after about an hour, and then the milky appearance in the filler tube went away after about 90 minutes. I idled about another 15-30 minutes for good measure. Then I did another oil and filter change, discovered rough running off idle because my injectors were damaged from the salt water sitting in my cylinders too long. After replacing my injectors, I I was back to good as new, and have been for a year now.

That is what I would do if I were you in your situation.

Like your boil out procedure, sure would beat changing the oil like 5 times. First time I have seen someone actually follow the service manual procedures.

Like your boil out procedure, sure would beat changing the oil like 5 times. First time I have seen someone actually follow the service manual procedures.
Had a mower sink to the bottom of my pond, put some seafoam in the crankcase, and will pull all the oil out on the next drain, worked like a champ. Also disconnecting the batt. has help my ski several times when it does weird things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back