Hump Seats

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffe723

Alright so I really like the look of the hump seats on the X4 but they are so damn expensive. I have done a lot of work on dirtbikes and sport quads in the past and in those cases i have made my own hump seats. My question is, has anyone attempted to cut down their own seat foam and take a seat cover from mototrim or hydroturf that is made for a factory hump seat and make it work? I'm thinking I'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Anyone?

Jettrim will probably make you a seat foam. I know they can make hump seats from normal ones. Maybe they can just send you the hump to glue on and the cover?

Jettrim will probably make you a seat foam. I know they can make hump seats from normal ones. Maybe they can just send you the hump to glue on and the cover?

If what im seeing is correct, the 99 spx and the 95 xp 800 seat look like they are just a shaved regular seat with a specific cover. I have on seat foam that the surface isn't great on so i thought i might see if i can shave my own seat foam down and use a seat cover that is supposed to fit a hump seat foam. That might be a cost effective way to get that nice look. I have done it on dirtbikes a lot in the past so i might experiment with the seadoo. I was really checking to see if anyone had ever attempted shaving their own.

I watched a number of videos on doing the foam on the seats. Looks real messy but I bought some foam and a wheel for my side grinder. They also make an electrical device to cut and shape the foam. You may have have seen one. It is a wire the hooked up to low voltage and the heat trims the foam. That's all I know.. LOL right or wrong. I know I'm gonna hate doing it if I can't find anyone that does this for a reasonable price. Seems like everyone;s stuff is worth a million dollars with the exception of a few people. :D :D

You're right, there are a couple parts for these X4 that are just gold. Everyone likes the hump seat, me and my girlfriend have our own ski's so no need for any of that 2-up stuff. Ill give it a shot in a similar fashion as when i did dirtbike seats and see how it goes. A good tool is electric filet knife. they are low rpm so they done tug and pull to rip the foam apart. Just move slow with the filet knife and let it do the work.

Please keep us posted as to how it turns out. I have some friends with skis in need of foam replacement, but I'm too intimidated to take on shaping foam at this time. Seems like an expensive mess up if it's done wrong..
I just got started with vinyl and a sewing machine and foam is the next step in the progression of what I'm doing so I'd appreciate any tips you may be able to pass along. Thanks.

Alright so I really like the look of the hump seats on the X4 but they are so damn expensive. I have done a lot of work on dirtbikes and sport quads in the past and in those cases i have made my own hump seats. My question is, has anyone attempted to cut down their own seat foam and take a seat cover from mototrim or hydroturf that is made for a factory hump seat and make it work? I'm thinking I'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Anyone?

Wish you'd spoke up awhile back, during the Summer there was a guy on the FB page who put a couple hump seats and other parts at the trash pickup when he was getting evicted from his home. He told everyone to stop by and get what they wanted.

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, like everyday, you'll get something cheap eventually. For several months every morning and afternoon I'd check, then I got lucky and found a nice condition GSX seat for a buy it now at $80 shipped. I've seen the X4 hump seats come and go for about $150. but it's the shipping that will bump the price well over $200. Like you say, you could do it yourself, glue a piece on and shape it, a rasp bit on a die grinder spinning at 10K should shape it nicely.

I’ve had experience shaping but dirtbike seats are much thinner and much narrower. I have a foam that’s messed up, it’s been cracked and weather has got to it, BUT it’s only where the driver would sit so I think it’s going to be the PRIME candidate because I’m not out anything if it gets messed up.

If what im seeing is correct, the 99 spx and the 95 xp 800 seat look like they are just a shaved regular seat with a specific cover.

No. There is more material in the hump area than on a regular seat. You cannot just shave a non hump seat, you have to add foam in the hump. Thats why Matt suggested gluing a piece of foam to a regular seat.

Reactions: MRK
there's a guy in bradenton FL that i'm sure can make them, he's done several custom seats and added a hump for my rxtx then made a cover to fit it. we had a brief discussion about doing a custom x4 hump seat a couple of years ago but then I sold my x4 and moved on from the idea.

I've seen photo's of the process it didn't look that involved (as long as you know what you are doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back