How To: Repair burned GSX Info Center part 1

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My front film was all bubbled. I cleaned it off and the back is bubbled as well. Can I unsolder the lcd panel, flip it over and remove the back one as well and replace it with this film as well?????
any help on this would be greatly appreciated

For those looking for film:
You can harvest it from any broken LCDs you have sitting around (TVs, Computer monitors, anything with an LCD.
I peeled the film off a broken 3.5" backup camera monitor and tested it on a similar LCD. It lifted very easily with a razor, and cleaned up with alcohol. Will post pics as soon as I install it on the ski.

I fixed the gauge on my 1996 GTX using this method. I had ordered the kit on ebay, but the polarized film couldve came from anywhere to do the job. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the gauge out of the seadoo, that was the longest part of the whole job. I noticed in some threads people were having some problems getting the gauge out or figuring out how to get it through the hood, but mine had two 10mm bolts that held on the hood/scoop with the gauges in it to the regular hood. Once those were removed (after the big cover under the hood was removed), i was able to life the scoop/gauges out and free enough of the cable to pull it away to get the gauge out of its holder. I simply used a sharpie and labeled each plug on both sides with a number so I would know where they plugged back into. Once I removed all the plugs (8), i was able to get the cable through the hood and pull the gauge out of the panel and take it inside the shop for repair. After scraping off all of the old film, the lcd panel still looked burnt from the backside, but not as bad. After replacing film and putting back in the ski, its readable once again. Although, now I know i have to fix the fuel baffle on this ski too... just had to fix the one on the 2001 Lrv..

I noticed in some threads people were asking about how to get their gauge display (hood) loose so they could get their gauge out... On my 1996 GTX there were three bolts that held it in place... you would find these after you removed the panel under the hood.
seadoo guage 6.jpg

After getting the gauge out and removing the old burnt film, my gauge still looked burned under the lcd, nothing I could do to repair that....
seadoo guage 4.jpg

After getting it back in the ski, it seemed to look fine, maybe a little darker but definately readable again... YAY!
seadoo guage 5.jpg

This is what my gauge looked like before the repair...
seadoo guage1.jpg

I bought a sheet of the film and have cut out some extra ones. I will sell them off for $10 each shipped. The ones on ebay now are $25. I'll give you even a better deal on multiples. Mine won't come with the fancy instructions, but these here do the same thing. BTW, I scrape the old film off with a razor blade and use acetone to clean it and it works well. Done 3 gauges this way. Anyway PM me and I set you up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back