Resealing 96 GTX info center gauge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bodine465

I managed to replace the LCD screen on my 96 GTX's info screen, but mangled the lens retaining ring beyond saving in the process. Does anyone know where to get a replacement ring or have a suggestion on how to secure the lens back onto the gauge housing? Was thinking of using aluminum tape, like what's used on ducting, then giving it a final wrap with some waterproof tape. Any better ideas?

Some people just electrical tape. I use sealant and the rings. I like pretty. I have a couple of extra rings around here somewhere. LOL

I just used 90mm heat shrink tubing and that worked out ok. I would have liked to save the trim ring as well. Maybe a Dremel cutting wheel cutting the circumference on the back side may allow one to pry the ring off and save it for the sake of pretty and all. I hope I won't have to do it again to find out.

I just used 90mm heat shrink tubing and that worked out ok. I would have liked to save the trim ring as well. Maybe a Dremel cutting wheel cutting the circumference on the back side may allow one to pry the ring off and save it for the sake of pretty and all. I hope I won't have to do it again to find out.
I have lived the back side of trim ring (the crimp) and removed it without cutting. When reinstalling the trim ring I had to be really careful not to put and dents in the front part of the ring while crimping the back side securely. That part was difficult and I was not 100% successful but it looked pretty good. I probaby could have made it look nicer by painting the ring flat back when I was done but it wasn't that noticeable.

I currently use a dremel with the small abrasive cutter to separate the trim ring. I was cutting them on a 45 degree angle but didn't really derrive much benefit so I cut them straight now. It is very humid in south Louisiana so I'm careful not to leave the gauge open very long and I sometimes reassemble and seal them in an airconditioned area.

I have had problems with moisture on my first couple of gauge repairs and I wonder if pulling pulling a vacuum on the gauge would effectively remove the moisture. I haven't had to resort to that but I've thought about it. LOL Good Luck !!

Lol...after reading your post I went out to check my newly reinstalled gauge for moisture. The ski is in direct Florida sun at this moment, I think it's about 125 degrees out there and no moisture at all...yay me! I repaired mine in my airconditioned and dehumidified room so I'm sure that must have saved me.

Lol...after reading your post I went out to check my newly reinstalled gauge for moisture. The ski is in direct Florida sun at this moment, I think it's about 125 degrees out there and no moisture at all...yay me! I repaired mine in my airconditioned and dehumidified room so I'm sure that must have saved me.

When it cools in the evening is when it will show the mositure more. You did good doing in all in the A/C so you should be OK. :)

Back