How To Install Hydro Turf

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejay

here is Unclejay's tried and true method. Do the surface prep as instructed, then install as follows (assumes 3M backing):

1. Lay all the pieces in the boat to make sure they are located correctly, believe it or not some arent obvious where they go and if you put one in the wrong place, lots of luck.

2. Remove em all. Now, for each piece:

3. Peel back the paper about ONE INCH along the narrowest side

4. Put the paper back over the stickum, loosely.

5. lay the piece down from the OPPOSITE END and position it carefully. It will not stick cause the paper is loosely covering the stickum.

6. Kneel on the piece so it doesnt move.

7. Again peel the paper back 1 inch , since you already did it, it will fall right off

8. Stick that one inch strip firmly to the deck. Your mat is now located.

9. Reach under the mat and pull the paper slowly out from under it, using a roller wheel over a towel to secure it every few inches. Dont run the roller wheel right on the turf, it may cut or dent it.

That is pretty much how I did it. My big secret is to peel off the one corner, and let it curl up like it wants to. Then adjust the entire piece, minus the lifted exposed corner, and situate it. THen press down on the exposed piece and start to peel the backing off from the first corner, pressing as you go down.

Perfect every time.

Did anyone sand down the surface at all? I just got my set from Hydro turf for the swim deck. It is going over that rough texture. Sand or no sand?:confused:

Another method...

Hello, I install a lot of decals on cars, boats, golf carts etc and here is how I do it.* I have my hydro turf on order so I am not sure how this method will work but I am sure it will…
1.* Lay the hydro turf in desired position.
2.* Place a small piece of tape(6 inches or so) sticking out on each end to hold it in place.
3.* Then put a piece of tape across the middle of the piece of HT that is being installed…have the tape come out about 6 inches on each side of the hydro turf.* This will create kind of a hinge where you can lift half of the piece of hydro turf and put it back down then lift the other half up to the 'hinge' and put it back down.
4.* Now lift one half of the hydro turf up to the 'hinge'.* **You can use the small piece of tape you placed on the end as kind of a handle.
5.* While holding half the HT up, remove the paper backing up to the hinge or as close to it as you can get.*
6.* While still holding up the HT now with the backing removed,* cut the backing paper away as close to the hinge as possible with a pair of scissors(Make sure the 'hinge' piece of tape is secure enough to hold the HT in place).
7.* Starting at the hinge slowly start laying the HT, now with the backing paper removed, down into position.* Start at the middle working your way toward the end slowly.
8.* Once this 'half' is in place, remove the tape 'hinge', then lift the half of the HT that still has the backing paper and remove the backing paper.
9.* Again starting at the middle and working slowly towards the end place the remaining half of the HT in place
This method works great for applying any decals and stickers and I am sure it will work with the HT.* The only issue I could foresee is if the tape you use as a hinge sticks to the HT too much.* You don’t want to damage the HT with the tape.* I would recommend the blue painters tape.* It should be strong enough to hold the HT in place but not damage it.*

Hey PerkDoo...Any advice on REMOVING decals like old registration numbers??? Tricks to the trade..

Thanks

Get you a $15 heat gun from harbor freight. Heat them up a little. Use a plastic scraper, it will peel right off. Then spray with goo gone. Let it sit 5 minutes and the adhesive rubs right off. Wipe it down with alcohol and you are ready to go. That is what you have to do with decals or the factory padding that is on where the hydroturf goes.

My factory padding glue was so old, it had turned hard and required brute force to scrape it off. No chemicals would cut it...:ack:

Heat gun didn't help either, but worked wonderfully for removing the SPLASH decals along the side of the boat. Once you get a small chunk of the decal up, just heat the next six inches and slowly peel it off.

2 Methods

So far we have 2 basic methods - work from the middle, or work from the end of the piece. Either will work. I prefer not to use the tape hold down method because if the tape slips even 1/8 inch the mat will be way misaligned. However, using the 3M adhesive for temporary hold down means you have to get it right, if the mat slips while you are kneeling on it and you tack it into place, you have a problem. You can peel up 3M adhesive if it has been LIGHTLY tacked but not if its stuck on there. You'd have to use Mineral Spirits to dissolve the 3M and get a new piece from Hydro Turf, which will be expensive... about 35.00 per piece. Of course this doesnt stop the whole operation, you can just leave the one piece to do later.

There is a competing company called Sea Dek which makes a superior product, but not for Sea Doos yet unless you want to cut it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back