How to clean your sun faded hood cover w/ pictures

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetskigoodies

How to clean your hull and sun faded hood cover w/ pictures

Ok I had posted some pictures on a thread a while back on a hood cover I restored and I got a few pm's on how I did it and what I used. This is the process I use. It is fairly cheap but does take a couple of hours.

I use these steps on my hulls as well,

First off this is what you will need to complete the project

1. a drill(ive used a buffer and had bad results)
2. buffing wheel attachment for a drill http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_buffing+pad_-1_-1&keyword=buffing+pad $6.99
3. Meguiars mirror glaze medium cut cleaner. They have a high cut but I tried that and it can sctach and burn the plastic. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...rch_mirror+glaze_-1_3316&keyword=mirror+glaze $12.99
4. a 7/32 nut driver(this is to take your hood apart if you want to clean between the mirrors and cracks where the hood is joined together. In this how to I didnt do that because i dont have mirrors on this or a gauge panel.) I got the nut driver in the picture at lowes. It is Cobalt brand. I recommend getting this one because I know it fits in the cavity where most nut drivers dont fit. Also keep in mind that if you plan on doing this you will have to drill out rivets that hold the the hood togethor behind the mirrors. the mirrors come off simply by reaching in and unscrewing the wing nuts. It is very simple.
5. rags

I recommend leaving the hood on the hull to do the majority of hood. It is much easier than trying to keep the hood in place, I couldnt do this how to with a hood that was on a hull because all of mine that are on a hull are already done. When you get most off the hood done and want to do the areas behind the mirrors and the creases of the hood then remove the hood.

If you do remove your hood from the hull DO NOT CUT THE WIRES. Buy this tool http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaDoo-New-..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item5adad8ce4c&vxp=mtr If you want to buy it for $4.95 free shipping search (weatherpack tool) on ebay. The link I used shows you instructions and you get a better idea of what its used for.

Now for the instructions. Pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

First I start off by removing all gauges all rubber pieces and decals. you can remove decals with a $9 heat gun or a blow drier.
Then I apply the cleaner to the pad, Also apply the cleaner all over the hood. i use almost a whole bottle when I clean one hood. While you are using the drill use it at different speeds until you notice what speed the cleaner is working the best at. You will notice immediate results.

Start off doing small sections at a time. i usually do 8" by 8" area.

you will notice the pad will start to absorb most of the cleaner. When this starts to happen take a rag and wipe down the section you worked on, you will really have to rub hard to get the cleaner off. You will notice some areas you will have to go over again. I just move section to section until I finish. You will have to do some sections by hand and really work the material. After you have finished the process and you think you are done, you are not. Do the whole process again. I personaly do it three times. What you are actually doing is taking a layer of the plastic off.

When you are done just put it back togethor. Keep the hood covered. Mine have stayed looking good for years with no need to have to touch them up, but i keep mine covered. If you keep the out in the sun it will just happen again. Plastic fades so protect it

As you can see in the pictures I only did half of the hood , you can really see the difference

I will also repeat this step with a few other compound to really bring out the color just follow the instructions on the back of the bottle, I think the next step is fine cut then swirl remover then yellow wax. It doesnt need to be done but if you really want it to protected you could do that

Attachments

• hood 9.jpg
    hood 9.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 547
  • hood 8.jpg
    hood 8.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 481
  • hood 7.jpg
    hood 7.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 513
  • hood6.jpg
    hood6.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 478
  • hood 5.jpg
    hood 5.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited by a moderator:
I only did half of the hood because i bought this just to paint it. i will have to use acetone to get all the wax and oils off of it and then it is geting sanded down. I used this as a guide for you guys. It took me a half hour just to do that. This hood is off of a 95 xp 800

Here are the rest of the pictures. I havent figured out how to make the pictures larger and add more than 5. They are not in the order i would prefer them to be in either

Almost forgot. This can be used on the hull as well, be careful with the buffing attachment in the foot holds. It can bind up and strip the attachment. If you do it on your hull I highly recommend using all 4 steps of the compounds, medium cut, fine cut, swirl remover, and yellow wax. The hull in my avatar was really sun beaten, it was a yellowish color. Only problem is decals must be removed the medium cut with tear them up, also if adhesive residue is left from the decal the medium cut takes it right off so don't kill yourself trying to get it off

The compounds wont be if the wax section of the store they are located by the body repair section

Attachments

• hood 1.jpg
    hood 1.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 231
  • hood 2.jpg
    hood 2.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 258
  • hood 3.jpg
    hood 3.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 239
  • hood 4.jpg
    hood 4.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 275
  • HOOD.jpg
    HOOD.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 337
post up your good pics , cause this one isnt really showing what it does, but, is this how u cleaned your hull also, cause i want to clean my whole underside, you made your hull look good
(pics of your hull) http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10904&d=1328600153 http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10900&d=1328599655
http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10901&d=1328599661 http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10902&d=1328599669
http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10903&d=1328599674

found the pics, u make the hull real nice

The 3rd and 4th pic show the good side. The first pic of the second post shows how bad it really was. I have a few more pics of it I want to post but I can't upload pics from my iPad and my pc crashed, I can only post pics at work

But on this thread I have pictures of what it does on the hull as well. My pictures are at the bottom of the first page. If you look hard enough you can see the cleaner bottle in the foothold and the drill
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...r-Cover-Faded-Black-Fixes&highlight=Sun+faded

These are the pictures of the 95 hull before and after and this was all done with the steps above
But with doing hulls i start with, the heavy cut cleaner that must be ordered online and picked up in the store. i do the whole hull with that, then i use medium cut, the whole hull, then i use swirl remover the whole hull, then i use the yellow wax. I use the same brand of meguairs for all steps.

Attachments

• xp3.jpg
    xp3.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 238
  • xp2.jpg
    xp2.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 298
  • xp 1.jpg
    xp 1.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 244
  • xp6.jpg
    xp6.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 258
  • xp7.jpg
    xp7.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 244
Well I was just looking at another thread about buffing a hull. I just got done buffing a couple hulls and was thinking of maybe doing a how to and take some pictures. I just got 2 95 xps in that are in rough shape. If there are people interested I will do one. Here are a couple pictures of what the hulls look like when im done.

Oh and I did make one look like minnetonkas with a few twists

Attachments

• buff1.jpg
    buff1.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 217
  • buff2.jpg
    buff2.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 187
  • buff3.jpg
    buff3.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 191
  • buff4.jpg
    buff4.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 206
  • buff5.jpg
    buff5.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 207
Buffing how to

I use this exact process on my hulls, nothing is different from the hood to the hull exept on the hull i start with a grittier product. The plastic will leave burn marks if you use the heavy cut cleaner

It is a shame to paint over a XP800 hood. It is already yellow, lighter and rare. I guess the guy with the "goodies" gets to make that call. I appreciate the specific materials list. I have had to turn down my 7/32 on the grinder to fit some of those hood bolts. There is a few 6mm one too.

If you guys mess up your mirrored 96XP hoods don't worry, I'll send you another. I don't want to use them but have a couple I cant throw away.

Agreed...please dont ever paint a yellow one!! Both me and my bro have many SP and SPI hoods in stock to paint!!

I have been using scotchbrite pads and softscrub w/ bleach with excellent results.

Agreed...please dont ever paint a yellow one!! Both me and my bro have many SP and SPI hoods in stock to paint!!

I have been using scotchbrite pads and softscrub w/ bleach with excellent results.

good point nick, you posted that softscrub idea a long time ago, and softscrub is always my "first" thing, to clean things up first. did my whole dam Challenger boat like that, it was great, cheap, easy, non abrasive.

Well I was just looking at another thread about buffing a hull. I just got done buffing a couple hulls and was thinking of maybe doing a how to and take some pictures. I just got 2 95 xps in that are in rough shape. If there are people interested I will do one. Here are a couple pictures of what the hulls look like when im done.

Oh and I did make one look like minnetonkas with a few twists

what kind of grips do you have that are black with a little yellow in them, looks sharp!

Scott

I painted the yellow hood so when i open the hood underneath is yellow and would look like the hood belonged to the jetski. I didnt want it to look like i made a frankenstien machine. If i get anymore hoods that are yellow i will be saving them and keeping them original. I know i could have just used the bottom piece but the hood had no deep scatches or gouges so i wanted that one for my personal xp

Ok so I got a faded hood... The soft scrub idea... Just rub it on with a towel??? I'm thinking a buffer might spin too fast. What about scotch rite pads... Just scrub until my arms are killing me??? I might go with a heat gun but don't want to destroy it...

thanks again for posting this thread, I have a yellow xp800 hood that needs serious loving, i'll pick up the materials over the next day or two and get started ! will post results

thanks again for posting this thread, I have a yellow xp800 hood that needs serious loving, i'll pick up the materials over the next day or two and get started ! will post results

Or you could just buy some "Wipe New" at walmart and get the same results. Search for it, spmebody did it not long ago

well, i'll say this, i'm dazzled and amazed, and i'm only on round 1.5 on this hood, time invested, less than 30 minutes.

before

459.jpg

using the buffer and recommended compound

half way, 5 minutes into the job... at this point, i'm thinking... hmmmm, JSG is onto something here :thumbsup: you can see where I stopped wet sanding on the hull as well, ran out of 1500 !

460.jpg

15 minutes later, now I'm SURE he's onto something !

461.jpg

after 1 coat, and 1 touchup.
462.jpg

i'm Dazzled and Amazed ! Thank you sir !

the classic yellow hood is officially saved !

That's freakin awesome!!! Y'all help me spread the news.....never paint the original yellow ones. They were 95 XP800 only. I think that puts the # at about 2000 hoods with many gone already. There are zillions of regular 95XP and 96XP's that would be better off with one. Anyway, Great Job Spim! And great technique JSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back