How To: Changing Your Wear Ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I sucked up a piece of ratchet strap and it caused intermittent cavitation. Sometimes the strap would get in the way and cause severe cavitation, other times, after stopping, it would find a more benign position and the ski would run better (still not perfect). It did damage my seal though.

I had to take mine to a local repair. The owner listened to it, and in one second he said the wear ring was loose and spinning in the impeller.

this is very helpful im going to tackle this on my 05 seadoo 3d question do i need a impeller removal tool for mine i can find one listed thanks every1

this is very helpful im going to tackle this on my 05 seadoo 3d question do i need a impeller removal tool for mine i can find one listed thanks every1

Makes it a lot easier with the impeller tool. It can be done with out removing the impeller but very tricky to not damage anything. They aren't that expensive. Esp if your going to check/service everything while you are in there. You will be glad you spent the $10-$15 for it

There are two different tools out there, one for a 140mm pump, and one for the 155mm. They are not interchangeable. Find out what size pump you have. There are many ways to find out, like go to ShopSBT.com and browse around their parts. They usually do a good job of listing what part fits what ski.

That's where I got mine from. Just put in your ski and hit search. Everything they have for your ski will pop up including tools

Another wear ring Dummy

Deleted and moved thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:
So after reading this line about a dozen times,I did the ring. Pulled the pump, no problem and threw the housing in the freezer. After about 20-30 minutes i took it out of the freezer and flipped it over. The ring FELL right out.Amazing. No cutting whatsoever.went right back together too. Thats on my 2005 RXT. Next up my 96 GTX. More to come after the tear down. Thanks again.

Thanks for this. One comment: On our 2000 GTX the hoses stay with the boat. I took them off and removed the pump but there was no need. I put them back on while I worked on the pump, then re-installed it. Does that sound right?

I guess I got lucky. Left the impeller in, put a small set of vice grips in the impeller and tapped the housing with a plastic dead blow. Moved the vice grips a couple times and no issues. Tedious but it worked fine. Who cares if you trash the old one. Lol

Question about the set screws. I drilled into the wear ring a little for the set screws but i was having an issue with the screws pushing the wear ring into the impeller. ??

And what size is the ORing for the nose cone? Advised to buy Seadoo or is there an equivalent available at a local parts store?

When i changed my wear ring the impeller looked pretty rough. Do you think it needs changed? I went ahead and bought a new one but wasn’t sure if i should change it now.

I would have just taken a file to the face of that, and cleaned off the rough spots. From what I can see... it wasn't that bad.

Just attempted this job. Froze the pump and new ring for about one hour, old ring slid out by hand but new ring wont go back in. Tried 2x4 and hammer and that didnt work so I then put ring on the floor and tried knocking pump onto ring with no luck, other than slightly bending the edge of the new ring. Fixed the damage to the new ring and threw in freezer again overnight, will try again tomorrow. Just want to know if it will fit now after freezing it longer. Will get another ring as I don't want to chance anything with the bent ring. I read that the new OEM rings are a little bigger and need more work to get in the pump but trying to force it into the pump wasted $65 bucks

Well it took 3 guys to get this new wear ring installed yesterday. We set the ring on the shop floor and placed the pump housing on top, once it was lined up 2 of us held the housing in place and another hit the case with a rubber hammer. Once started it slid into place very easy. Hopefully this method may help someone who is having trouble like I did trying to get the ring into the pump by myself.

Hope someone can help me here.. I have a 2015 seadoo gti 130 se. I am trying to replace wear ring and impeller. I have the pump out of seadoo.. I have the impeller tool and I can't seem to budge it. I know it's righty loosey but from front or behind? Which way is reference point? I have the pump side with impeller facing up and cannot loosen. Any advice would be appreciated

Back