How To: Changing Your Wear Ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
HUH? What bolts??? The mounting bolts for the boot., don't have anything to do with the wear ring area...were these MacGyver'ish bolts...functional somehow? That's just weird.

He has a 155mm pump, and it has bolts going into the wear ring to keep it from spinning.

Hi everybody, I know there are are tons of threads on how to replace wear ring, and they seem simple enough, but I ran into some problems. I have a 1996 spi, and I am trying to remove the jet pump. I can't figure out how to remove the steering cable, am I supposed to push it through or something? I have attached a picture, also I removed the 4 outtermost bolts, and the pump is not moving, it also seems to be sealed by some sort of sealant or silicone? Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• CIMG6282.JPG
    CIMG6282.JPG
    955.2 KB · Views: 86
  • CIMG6283.JPG
    CIMG6283.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG6284.JPG
    CIMG6284.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 89
  • CIMG6285.JPG
    CIMG6285.JPG
    710.5 KB · Views: 95
Hi everybody, I know there are are tons of threads on how to replace wear ring, and they seem simple enough, but I ran into some problems. I have a 1996 spi, and I am trying to remove the jet pump. I can't figure out how to remove the steering cable, am I supposed to push it through or something? I have attached a picture, also I removed the 4 outtermost bolts, and the pump is not moving, it also seems to be sealed by some sort of sealant or silicone? Am I on the right track?
4th pic looks like the bolt is already removed u just need to push the swivel joint out also the pumps have silicone try pushing down and pulling up on the nozzle to free the silicone

hey gazza2010au, thanks for your help, yea i took the bolt out, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the steering off, what do you mean "push the swivel joint out"? which way, like through it up and down?

With the bolt out... the ball end should slide out of the nozzle knuckle. Put a thin screwdriver behind it... and give it a twist.

hey gazza2010au, thanks for your help, yea i took the bolt out, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the steering off, what do you mean "push the swivel joint out"? which way, like through it up and down?
the ball joint the bolt u removed that runs thru it will just pull out to the right side once the bolt is removed theres nothing holding the steering cable in there although i do see some dirt just pull the cable to the right softly than undo your 4 pump bolts than lift up the pump nozzle and push it down keep on doing this untill the seal breaks free than u can remove your pump make sure u dont loose the little rubber boot thats on the end of your drive shaft

With the bolt out... the ball end should slide out of the nozzle knuckle. Put a thin screwdriver behind it... and give it a twist.

the ball joint the bolt u removed that runs thru it will just pull out to the right side once the bolt is removed theres nothing holding the steering cable in there although i do see some dirt just pull the cable to the right softly than undo your 4 pump bolts than lift up the pump nozzle and push it down keep on doing this untill the seal breaks free than u can remove your pump make sure u dont loose the little rubber boot thats on the end of your drive shaft

thanks drhonda and gazza2010au, i'll def try that, I'll you guys know how it works out, I really appreciate the help.

so just like you guys said, it did slide out with a little force from a screwdriver, i also removed the back of the pump, now I'm still stuck with this still in there, I did remove the 4 bolts, but it doesn't seem to budge, should i get a heat gun? or use something to pry it? or am I missing anything

Attachments

• CIMG6287.JPG
    CIMG6287.JPG
    857.7 KB · Views: 85
  • CIMG6288.JPG
    CIMG6288.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 85
  • CIMG6289.JPG
    CIMG6289.JPG
    944.5 KB · Views: 89
so just like you guys said, it did slide out with a little force from a screwdriver, i also removed the back of the pump, now I'm still stuck with this still in there, I did remove the 4 bolts, but it doesn't seem to budge, should i get a heat gun? or use something to pry it? or am I missing anything
defiantly dont use heat your pump now is only holding by silicone i leave the steering cone on and use that for leverage to lift the pump up and down

nammer here u go a seadoo pump removal although i keep the steering nozzle bolted on while i remove the pump in one piece than disassemble
from your first picture it looks like someone used a massive amount of silicone so its going to take some force u may need to raise the front of your ski than place your feet on the back of the ski while pulling on the pump while u do this wiggle the pump up and down left and right dont give in lol :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj61_GthJqg

thanks gazza2010au, i actually saw that one before, it looks easy enough, but I can't get that off for the life of me, sorry for asking the same question, but may I ask why it would be so terrible to use a heat gun. I even like u said, had my feet on the back of the ski, and pulled and pulled the pump

thanks gazza2010au, i actually saw that one before, it looks easy enough, but I can't get that off for the life of me, sorry for asking the same question, but may I ask why it would be so terrible to use a heat gun. I even like u said, had my feet on the back of the ski, and pulled and pulled the pump
its RTV mate its heat resistant designed for sealing engines

My 2 cents

I got about 14 inches peace of wood 2x3 /this is what I had in the garage/ drilled 1/2 inch holes so when i place the wood over the pump with nozle off I can put screw trough the holes on the wood and screw it in the mounting holes for the nozle / diagonal - aiming two oposite holes / in the way the wood is against the boat. Got threaded rod M8 /check what is your bolt size for mounting the nozle/ and cut teo pcs to about 5 to 6 inches. Got M8 nuts /two pcs/ and some washers so the nut can't go trough the hole in the wood. Screw the rods in the pump abot 1/2 inch in the two oposite holes / i used upper left and lower right/. Put the wood, washers and hand tight the nuts. Start tigtening the nits with wrenc /13 mm if M8/ one, two turns at the times to each nut. This will pull the pump from the boat wery easy and clean.

Note: if you did not removed the cone yet check it often to make sure it is not in touch with the wood

My 2 cents

I got about 14 inches peace of wood 2x3 /this is what I had in the garage/ drilled 1/2 inch holes so when i place the wood over the pump with nozle off I can put screw trough the holes on the wood and screw it in the mounting holes for the nozle / diagonal - aiming two oposite holes / in the way the wood is against the boat. Got threaded rod M8 /check what is your bolt size for mounting the nozle/ and cut teo pcs to about 5 to 6 inches. Got M8 nuts /two pcs/ and some washers so the nut can't go trough the hole in the wood. Screw the rods in the pump abot 1/2 inch in the two oposite holes / i used upper left and lower right/. Put the wood, washers and hand tight the nuts. Start tigtening the nits with wrenc /13 mm if M8/ one, two turns at the times to each nut. This will pull the pump from the boat wery easy and clean.

Note: if you did not removed the cone yet check it often to make sure it is not in touch with the wood
thats a good idea :thumbsup:

My 2 cents

thank you, that sounds like an excellent idea, I have a lot of confidence it will work!

This was a knowledgeable thread...I got answers to few of my problems and queries..If I'll have some problems during the time of installing then I will ask you again...:)

Hey guys what do I do if my impeller won't come off? I've applied tons of heat, used a cheater bar and an impact gun and that sucker is STILL STUCK!! Do I have to get it glowing or something? I have a vice that rotates so I can have it hold the pump in a horizontal position. Should I try jumping on the breaker bar. It's not reverse thread is it?

You can bang out the wear ring without taking the prop off. Band it out VERY carefully from the back side. My prop is frozen to the shaft. It's never coming off. So we had to bang it out.

You can bang out the wear ring without taking the prop off. Band it out VERY carefully from the back side. My prop is frozen to the shaft. It's never coming off. So we had to bang it out.

I don't have the tool and have a sneaking suspicion mine may never come off too. I wonder if the freezer method would allow me to remove the wear ring without having to remove the impeller? If I can get it off that way, getting back on should be pretty easy. Any thoughts? One more thing, I assume the pump comes off with just the 4 bolts after that is when the removal of the impeller and all that begins.

Pat

Blakeliz69@gmail.com. Help, I pulled my 2005 130hp seadoo sportster jet boat down to Florida yesterday, put it in the water, and it wouldn't go faster than 5mph no matter the rpm. It did this until we stopped at a beach for a while, and then it started working fine again until I stopped for a moment and then back to the 5 mph thing again. It comes and goes. It did this a few weeKs ago as well.

Blakeliz69@gmail.com. Help, I pulled my 2005 130hp seadoo sportster jet boat down to Florida yesterday, put it in the water, and it wouldn't go faster than 5mph no matter the rpm. It did this until we stopped at a beach for a while, and then it started working fine again until I stopped for a moment and then back to the 5 mph thing again. It comes and goes. It did this a few weeKs ago as well.

Sounds like maybe you have something wrapped around your driveshaft. I would crawl underneath the boat and inspect it. If the problem persists after you remove the rope or w/e it is, chances are it damaged your pump seal. It's super easy to replace, just order it for $5, pull your pump off and put on a new one. While you have it apart, go ahead and check your impeller to wear ring clearance and your pump-oil. You can find a free repair manual on Google to reference the spec. Good luck!

The fact that this comes and goes does not make sense. If something was wrapped around the shaft I think the problem would persist and not come and go. I guessing one of two things.
1). Shaft seal has gone bad and you are sucking air through it creating cavitation.

2). Shaft splines or PTO issue. This would allow the engine to rev but get little to no performance.

Back