How much smoke is okay? (if any)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyjones

I've had my 96 speedster for a few weeks now, and after $800 in repairs (wear ring and a myriad of other things) it runs much better. Top speed about 47, not the 50-60 others claim.. It definitely gets out of the hole better.

BUT when I fire it up and troll out of the launch site (and it seems both engines do this) I get plenty of grey/white smoke out the exhaust(s). It's not EXTREME, but let's just say people definitely notice from far away.... It runs smoothly enough, and doesn't seem to smoke as much (or at all when running) after the initial start and higher speed cruise...I understand wind/speed makes it seem like less smoke under speed, but I do think it goes away almost completely... Other than being really embarrassing at the launch, is this a big deal? Do I need my carbs rebuilt?

I guess what I am really asking is being it is a two-stroke, is some smoke (or a lot for a little bit) ok/normal?

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably normal. Mine smokes a bit at startup. Some of it is steam, from water still in the exhaust system, from the last run.

Watch other 2 stroke motors at startup. Similar size, of course.

And, you have 2 motors. So, twice the smoke.

N

Come on guys....does anyone have any kind of idea why a Seadoo will put out excessive exhaust smoke / steam?

No one gets any answers on this question..

Smoke

The smoke is entirely normal. Mine puts out enough smoke to kill mosquitoes at idle, especially when cold. it is a bluish-white smoke and heavy - it floats just above the surface of the water and hangs around forever if the wind isnt blowing. If you have whispy WHITE smoke which rises fast and disappears fast, then that is steam and should not be there for more than a few seconds, and for sure not while running at speed.

Ok...

Well been out a few dozen times after my first posting here, and it is consistant. Heavy smoke (not vapor) when idling/low speeds for a long time.. But after throttling it up and flying at high speed for a moment it's gone, pretty much for good that day...

It almost seems like some oil continues to drip when it's sitting and that's why it burns up an excess when it's fired up..

Nothing has blown up, and it runs as good as ever, so I'm not too worried about it anymore. It is really embarrassing though.. Especially when you're in a 15' boat, sitting next to $500,000 yachts, and you're blowing heavy smoke everywhere... I just need a banjo to complete the scene for my audience... hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back