how long can I idle a 2008 speedster on the trailer.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarecrow

How long can I run the engine, with water hose attached, on the trailer.
Before damage occurs.
2008 Sea Doo speedster 4 tech, no super charger.
Boat has not been in the water this year so I would like to let it run for a period of time.
I have siphoned the fuel out and filled it with fresh stabilized fuel.
I wont be able to get it in the water this year.
Thanks

At idle, a couple of minutes max. If you are running the revs up, I would day 30 seconds.

The carbon seal uses water to cool the friction created with where it mates to the metal hat. If it heats up, it distorts and will fail to seal

Thanks for the reply Mac
If I make a water spray nozzle to spray water down the shaft into the seal cavity, in the water intake, should it be enough to keep the seal wet? Allowing extended time to operate the motor
Your thoughts

I would think if you can keep it cool and lubricated with water you should be good for an extended period.

As the seal wears, it often leaves a halo line on the surrounding surfaces. Keep a eye out for it.

Is there a reason why you need to run for so long out of the water?

When I refill the tank with stabilized fuel I want to be sure the motor runs long enough to burn the old fuel in the pump, fuel line, rail and injectors. Im not sure how much volume of old fuel will be in left in the system.
There could be a lot of fuel left in the fuel pump plus the 1/4 inch fuel hose probably has about 2 oz and another 1 oz in the fuel rail. How long would it take to burn it all off? I'm triing to be proactive without causing other damage/problems.
I should put it in the water and run it.
Thanks for you thoughts

Thanks for the reply Mac
If I make a water spray nozzle to spray water down the shaft into the seal cavity, in the water intake, should it be enough to keep the seal wet? Allowing extended time to operate the motor
Your thoughts
I don't have a speedster, but aren't those twin engine 4-stroke? Where are your radiators, in the ride plate, or off to the sides like my Challenger? If you are setting up water sprays, in addition to the one shooting up into the shaft guard to cool the seal, you could set one up on the radiator of the engine you are running to it from shutting down on high temp. Good news is these things are so bad on gas that it won't take long to burn out all the old stuff.

Isn't the real issue the exhaust manifold? That puppy gets hot fast. Or are you meaning that you have a water hose hooked up to it? Gotta start the engine, then turn on the water. Then water off, engine off. If I remember on mine, the water coming back out with pour over the pan radiator, so it should keep the cooling system water from over heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back