How does the Spark compare

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

theinsider

Was just wondering if those who have a Spark and another Sea Doo or have rode other Sea Doo's could give me some insight on how the Spark compares.

The smallest PWC I've used was the Sea Doo XP DI a few years back and when I heard about the Spark, this one came to mind because I knew it was relatively small. I can't seem to find the horsepower anywhere but the dry weight is listed at 562, which is still significantly bigger than the Spark. I wasn't a fan of this PWC because it was hard to balance and maneuver without feeling like it was going to tip over. The hull was much more into the water (closer to the water) to the point where water easily came into sides of the thing when not moving. I wasn't a large guy at the time and I never experienced this on any other PWC. I don't know how this compares to the Spark because I haven't tried one yet, but this was the PWC that came into my mind first and I wonder if anyone here has experience on both.

If not, any insight you can give me as a Spark owner/rider is appreciated.

I have an xp limited (same hull as the di). 130 hp. The spark is much more stable, and will keep up until it tops out. It handles lake chop well and is overall a great ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine the a Spark as the modern day XP. It has been updated just like anything else evolves over 15 or 29 yrs. more stable, 4-strike engine, still small enough to be nimble. Engine is the same in all cases and gets it boost through a tune more or less. So you can get the 60 hp or take it to 110 hp just by unlocking the electronic restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved my 98 XP-L because at full speed only about the last 12 inches of the hull was actually in the water and it went a solid 63.8 GPS! My year was about 530 Pounds (I think)
The Spark is a LOT more Stable- But I feel the Seat is Not Nearly as comfortable as the XP-L and you feel the 9-12 inch chop a lot more with the spark although the Duck Bill in the front keeps virtually ALL the spray away from you. However 50 MPH feels fast on a Spark BUT 63.8 on the hour Glass hull XP-L could beat a lot of Supercharged skies, especially if they had 2 people on board?

I had a 94 SP and don't remember the weight. The 3up Spark is more stable and handles so much better. Donuts and figure eights are fun because it doesn't feel like the ski is going to flip you off. We cut up so much more on the Sparks and feel confident the ski is going to stay under you.
Best decision made in awhile for a fun toy. Money well spent.

I have a built Spark and a built 96 XP. The 96 feels heavy after riding the Spark, I actually went to shore to check hull for water today because XP felt so heavy. The Spark is very buoyant. My XP is a tad quicker out of the hole side by side both built pretty good, Spark won top end today. If the Spark was bare bones I personally wouldn't ride it, I need more throttle response while playing. Once the Spark is hooking up a bit better it will be the better of the two, however you can't beat tossing around an x4 hull. Water doesn't go above the rear sides like an X4, it is a very dry comfy ride. I am basically torn and love them both. We will see over time if the Spark wins me over.

I have a built Spark and a built 96 XP. The 96 feels heavy after riding the Spark, I actually went to shore to check hull for water today because XP felt so heavy. The Spark is very buoyant. My XP is a tad quicker out of the hole side by side both built pretty good, Spark won top end today. If the Spark was bare bones I personally wouldn't ride it, I need more throttle response while playing. Once the Spark is hooking up a bit better it will be the better of the two, however you can't beat tossing around an x4 hull. Water doesn't go above the rear sides like an X4, it is a very dry comfy ride. I am basically torn and love them both. We will see over time if the Spark wins me over.

Curious what your mods are for both the spark and the XP. I have 2 XP's and am curious what the spark would be like compared to it "built" up. I like to play and jump more than anything else. How does the spark jump compared to the XP? Thanks

I've ridden both(90hp) and the Spark is RAD! If I were to get a new ski it would be a Spark for sure. I like the way it rode and it felt super light turning compared to my X4 which feels heavier turning if that makes sense.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Mods:

2014 Sea Doo Spark 60hp- Vtech 109HP Flash, R&D Power Filter, R&D Intake Grate, R&D Spoonsons, R&D Seal Kit, Riva Water Box, Riva Rear Exhaust Kit, Skat Trak Impeller, Skat Trak Wear Ring, Hydroturf

1996 Sea Doo Xp- New SBT Motor 2012, K&N Intake, Factory Pipe Spec II Exhaust, TDR Water Box, UMI Steering, Beach House Spoonsons, R&D Intake Great, R&D Nozzle 85/88 Kit, Solas Prop, High Torque Starter, Micro Touche Rev Limiter, ECWI, Hydroturf, Misc.

96 wins off the line with my gf driving it if we both pin it form dead stop. Spark tops out at 52mph. Spark low/mid range is way better after mods. Spark is way easier to jump, XP feels like it is full of water when I get back on it. Spark prop needs some work, seeing more cavitation then I would like.

Back