How does reverse gate latch work?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul-at-theTub

Good day,

After a few months of looking for a sea Doo and then discovering they make jet boats I'm a new 1997 Sportster owner!

Tested on small lake Thursday night all worked great. Drove 3 hours and had it on Lake Huron yesterday but all gears (forward, reverse, neutral) moves forward. I've seen the reverse gate does not move when the gear selector at the helm is moved.

I do need neutral and reverse to work if I'm in busy boat traffic in Tobermory . I've read a lot on the forum and may have to pull it out to fix.

However I'd like to try manually moving the reverse gate in the water to see if there is anything going on. I can't quite "feel" what to release or move to test it. Can someone explain what to move or depress?

Regards,
Paul

Hi there is only one cable going to the reverse gate. When the operator moves P-N-R lever to the reverse position it forces a lever on the reverse gate to release and the gate it falls by gravity and the gate blocks the water flows water flow from the pump The water hits the gate and forces water to the sides of the bucket. where the flows in reverse. (PLEASE NOTE BUCKET IS HEAVY WATCH YOUR FINGLES. ALSO IF YOU TRY TO THIS MAN MAKE SURE THE GATE LOCK LACKES OR YOU TEAR OFF BUCKET)

There is a small aluminum lever on the side near the cable. It latches to keep the bucket up, you can just release it to move the bucket down.

Chester

Good day,

Thanks for the replies. It was much easier to see the lever outside of the water, rather than through a snorkel mask!

This ended up being a broken cable under the gear selector :( which was fixed by the boat mechanic along with a blown exhaust and a number of other things. Not a great first year for this boat but I am hopeful that has all been worked out and there is more fun in my future - once the ice melts!

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back