How do you flush out a 95 Sportster.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdagold

Hello all, Just the newbie here again. I am a little confused on how to flush the Sporters. When I open the hatch next to the Vent fan there is a hole that I thought was where you connect the water line to flush and would of course clamp the small hose coming out of the motor head. After some investigating, the 3/4" line used for flushing is connected to a thru hull fitting next to the output for the bilge pump. Any recommendations would be well appreciated. Also I do not want to fire up the motor until I have this sorted out...:ack:

Your best to checkout the cooling section in the manual for a exact location of the hoses and fittings. The description is in easy to understand wording and easy to read. It would take a lot of typing to explain it here.

Karl

Hello Karl, That is the problem, the manual shows a hose getting connected to the spigot next to the air fan vent which is located under the stern hatch. This boat is not equiped with this option and I am assuming that the smaller hose that is coming off of the engine head and is routed out the stern next to the bilge output is the hose that I have to some how connect a garden hose to it or do I disconnect it from the stern and put a connector on it for the garden hose?

Back flushing....

What you are seeing is the "T" to your back flushing of the motor. Open the engine compartment cover to expose the water hose connection you just described.

Connect the water hose to it and start the motor. Now, with the motor running, go turn on the water slowly till you see water running from the "tale tell" hole on the back of the boat.

The back flush connection that goes thru the hull is also usable. But, I use it as a way to relieve the pressure from my water hose to ensure I don't put to much pressure on the engine. Do not pinch any hoses to flush.

When you finish running the engine, turn off the water first then turn off the motor.

You have a minute or so before the over temp alarm will sound. So, it's not like you have to break your neck to get to the water after shutting it off.:cheers:

Hello guys, I had a look at the hoses that come out of the head. The 3/4" is the one that went from the head and is connected to a thru hull fitting. It does not has a T on it to put a hose to flush. I then pulled on the 1/2" hose and it was just sitting in the bidge with the connector that is in pic3. As there was a hole in the hose i cut off the end and add my own connector to connect the hose on to as in pic1 and pic2. I will replace the GREY hose guys. I fired up the motor and turned on the water. No water exited out of the exhaust or the 3/4" hose. Turn off engine and then turn off the water hose. When I used the quick disconnect to take the hose off, there was a vacum. Not sure what to do now.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 45
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 43
After some more investigating, I found that the water jacket to the head was clogged with fine sand. That has been cleaned and we decided to remove the top half. More problems. The pistons and the cylinder were scorched and will be doing a total rebuild. Thank good it is not summer yet.:ack:

hey gold...
from looks of pictures, the hose you attached the flush to is not the right one. Maybe on 95', but from my boat(96' Sportster), that hose went to the thru-hull spigot from pump, and the other hose on head, is the one you want to splice into mid way, with "T" fitting...?

Shot from hip...

Sorry, from re-look'n at "your" model boat, cooling system,..yah, you hooked hose to the correct side of head-jacket.:cheers:

HAve to do a top end rebuild.....

Timmyboy, thanks for having a look at my pics. Anyway I have to do a top end rebuild. just having a serious problem trying to get the bolts off of the exhaust to get to the cylinders. Can I use some heat to get them out?:ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back