How do I fix this? *Gestures with arms open wide*, Picture Orgasm.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesnt take much to pull those brass T nuts into the housing....
WOW. I wouldn't've believed it till I saw it. These are from the same pump. 3 have recessed...one remains flush. Crazy. I'm disappointed to see that in fact that's exactly what has happened. The previous guy really reefed on these LOL....YIKES!!!

IMG_8416.jpg IMG_8415.jpg IMG_8417.jpg

You can buy complete pump housings complete with new wear rings and refurbed impellers. I see em all the time for around $400. Is that what you had to do last year? Got a spare from then?
Yeah., $400 is what I've seen...add on that shipping to Canada., and then taxes 13%. It's not cheap. Add in twin impellers, and I'm at what...$1300?

Naw, last year gear oil housing failed, and pump shaft needed to be replaced and rebuilt those bearings. Jet Pump was salveageable. I was only out a couple hours steep labour on that rebuild, and the new parts, and refurbing the impellers.

IMG_8420.jpg IMG_8419.jpg
I've filed away these surfaces, as well as the interior of that. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some acetone cleaner, and pack that space full of this JB Weld. I called them, and they insist I can definately weld that shit together. At this point, I can bear to wait another 2-4days and experiment with this, before committing to a $1300 purchase that I was NOT anticipating making...THIS year. You can see the weld I already made. It just didn't hold, In retrospect, I should've just removed it at first sight, and done it properly from these holes. Surface wasn't enough at all.

Oh....it's a good thing I didn't go out on the water...while taking this off, I noticed a SECOND NutEarHolder (what did you call it PaleRider?) had cracked as well...Jeebis!

yeah, it doesn`t take much, everytime it is removed and reinstalled the brass inserts get deeper and deeper...
That`s how I caught the previous owner BS`ing me that he put new pumps on this boat! one was similar to yours and one was new (3 years prior). I knew that he bought 2, but destroyed the new pump with a piece of lumber floating in the water on the very first ride...
tried to tell me there were 2 new pumps, when I knew the story, BZZZZZZT Fail!, hahahahaha

yessir, this crap isn`t cheap...

Nice catch!

That's one 'once over' you must've been giving the boat haha. Excuse me while I pull out my creeper and do a 90pt inspection on this baby...lol.

I'm trying to consider building up / reinforcing those eyelets on ALL eight loops, so they last me awhile longer, any suggestions on how to do that?

reinforce both the circles...but also make a platform for the bolts to sit on again...or at least lock them in place. On my *good* jet pump, I noticed that one of the nuts turned a bit and has broken the two plastic ridges that should be KEEPING it from spinning. I'm wondering how to hold it in place or reinforce it now.....

if it was just a matter of filling in the square recessed holes to make the T brass inserts flush again, you could use JB waterweld putty, tear a piece off, squish it in your hand like putty until it`s mixed, form it into the stretched squared hole part, and push in the T brass insert until it`s flush, clean off any excess and wait till it sets up, which is very fast BTW...
BUT I`m still going to recommend new housings... sucks I know!!!

SBT housing $390.

I for one would prefer OEM parts, like Pale Rider did. So for $332 you can get all new housing, wear ring, brass nuts, impeller shaft, thrust washer, thrust bearing, cone, o-ring and cone plug(the last three you could reuse your old ones and save almost $20($312)). If you did that you could get a refurb impeller from SBT and still be cheaper than them, for just the housing.

110guard, you just live on the wrong side of the border buddy, if you could get a dealer to mail you the parts thru US Postal Service that would be the easiest. I ship some stuff to Canada and it was cheaper to go up north than it was to ship the same part two states away!

shspowersports.com is where I got the pricing from, I have no affiliation to them, just found them while looking for parts for my 96 XP.

ARBRE HELICE *SHAFT-IMPELLER for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
271000291 $75.59

CARTER HELICE *HOUSING-IMPEL.ASSY. Includes 8 - 10. for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
204160055 $199.59

ROULEMENT AIGUI*NEEDLE BEARING for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
293350017 $14.79

JOINT ETANCHE *GASKET for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
293250085 $0.94

PLUG-PIPE SOCKET HD SAE-J-531 for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
211500001 $5.70

COUVERCLE TURB.*COVER-IMPELLER for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
271000895 $9.99

RONDELLE APPUIE*THRUST WASHER for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
293350020 $7.38

PALIER A BUTEE *THRUST-BEARING for 1998 Sea-Doo Sport Boats Speedster, 5615
293350019 $17.59

IMG_8453.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg
I bought this really thin set of files to get inside the space there where I poured in the jb weld. I filed everything down nice.

IMG_8451.jpg IMG_8452.jpg

Decided to go a touch heavy on the application...since the lady from JB suggested I do that, and no just put a thin coat on., apply it generously over and around the crack.

She insisted it would hold just fine.

Cure time is 12-15hrs. I waited 48hours.

IMG_8450.jpg

Thank you Racerxxx, I'll look at that. The assembly is usually 247'ish., so that's already a good savings. Shipping for HydroTurf from iboat was $48 for USPS., so for a smaller, same weight item (the jet pump and misc items) shouldn't be that much more. Only bummer with cross-border is taxes and any duty., which is at least another 15% =320+(15%)+50S&H=$413. Though...there's no way in HELL I'm finding all that in Canada for that price...time will tell.

I've found nujet destroyer impellers (not sure if new) for $250 for both, so I may be picking those up. Just need the rest now.

Found some jet pumps, just waiting for replies. Only problem with these, is they aren't local, and not stores., so either they accept to ship first and get paid later (I sure as heck wouldn't accept), or I pay and pray I don't get a brick (at best)...or an complete disappearing act (at worst)...LOL. Unless they know about heatware.com or are on this site or other sites where our trader feedbacks are mutually respected, I don't see how I could buy something distance. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...weather is still cool...so it's not THAT painful...but unless I decide to cough up $500 at least for one jet pump complete (or more? if not local), or twice that for both (as was my original intention).

I can't see a PN on the Imp. It's still installed and I'm a little depressed to take it apart...eventhough I finally got my spline socket wrench tool in the mail a couple days ago.

I hardly put 10Nm of torque and this GARBAGE failed. Either the Jet Pump is made from the flimsy plastic that this JB weld isn't rated to bond to...or their cure time or application description needs to be seriously reconsidered. If I was a lawyer, or had access to a lab, I would test this and complain to the BBB. 3690 psi tensile strength my ass.
IMG_8468.jpg IMG_8467.jpg IMG_8469.jpg

It might be the plastic.................... I used JB Weld to repair a cracked engine block (1986 OMC 5.7 GM Block). Block was cracked on both sides. The JB Weld has been holding just fine for 3 years now. Not sure about it's torsional strength. Looks like you put it to the test & it failed.

Having looked at the oil, did it have anything to do with it? or was the jet pump oil intact and operational?

Does this plug look good? These where new cones, so I'm wondering if it should be so offset? I need to test if this is really as open as it looks. SHouldn't it sit snugly in, and properly? Not askew as it is?

That oil has water in it and those fill plugs were installed crooked. Replace both of those cones as they are now cross threaded.

Chester

It might be the plastic.................... I used JB Weld to repair a cracked engine block (1986 OMC 5.7 GM Block). Block was cracked on both sides. The JB Weld has been holding just fine for 3 years now. Not sure about it's torsional strength. Looks like you put it to the test & it failed.

JB-Weld doesn't always work well with plastic. Epoxy works better.

Chester

Yeah, sadly. The description says it'll do hard plastic. Guess it's a different kind of plastic they're talkin' about.

That oil has water in it and those fill plugs were installed crooked. Replace both of those cones as they are now cross threaded.

Chester
It's actually just one, but thank you for the input. I always appreciate help. I put RTV in there, so hoping it'll hold till I replace everything coming season :).
JB-Weld doesn't always work well with plastic. Epoxy works better.

Chester
Where were you last month when I asked? ;). Do you think it would've held, now that you've suggested it?

Where were you last month when I asked? ;).

I told you that idea was crazy and it would never work. Quit wasting your time and money trying to engineer a cheap fix. Order a pump off ebay or one of the guys here who sell them. You can find an empty housing for under 100 bucks or a complete good rebuilt one for 3 to 4 hundred.

....Quit wasting your time and money trying to engineer a cheap fix.....

But if everybody did that we'd have no innovation and creative minds would be stifled :). If I had the money I would just buy new (which I intend to do coming season). I currently do not, hence this course of action.

I told you that idea was crazy and it would never work. Quit wasting your time and money trying to engineer a cheap fix. Order a pump off ebay or one of the guys here who sell them. You can find an empty housing for under 100 bucks or a complete good rebuilt one for 3 to 4 hundred.

:rolleyes:

cough cough

^ I will take anybody up for the offer next season when I have $$.

IMG_8627.jpg IMG_8629.jpg
This was my fix. I'm wondering how much tension these bolts can take before breaking. I have the hardest time with torque wrenches. I bought a click one, and I STILL couldn't dare get anywhere NEAR the torque that these are spec'd to. I think I ended up with half the rating (if that).

Understandably, I didn't want to torque too much and suck the nuts any lower, hence I just left it at half.

Tested it Today:
Today was really not the greatest weather, so I just wanted to take it out and see if I could chug along without issue. I wasn't in the mood to speed up and risk losing the mounts + gate assembly in the river, and have to swim the boat back to shore (haha)., so I satisfied myself with a 30min quick trek out.

The is the longest the boat has sat, and it took a REALLY long while to turn over. We're talkin' 3-5 full length attempts (timing out, hold the red button, and it starts and starts, nothing works and it just stops due to some time out I'm imagining). Finally started fine. Went out on the river., stopped both engines. Once we wanted to come back, they started up just fine first click.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotcha, a thought on your shipping issues... There is a UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY, you can have your parts shipped to. If you have your package shipped there and notify them, they will call you when it arrives, and you can pick it up and cross the border back to Canada and decide if you want to declare it or not. Can save a bundle on shipping, duty, taxes, and brokerage fees that way. From downtown Ottawa it's probably an hour's drive. Most border towns have stores that will hold packages for you.

Been here for going on 13yrs and NEVER went south of the Border. Never really cared to frankly. I just had a look on the map and tickled to see a correctional facility right in town as well.

I just got a credit card that doesn't apply the 2.5% conversion fee on foreign purchases, so who knows...we may make a day trip out of it one of these days. I'm really paranoid about not declaring things. I've read far too much about people getting jail time and heavy fines just to skip out on $100 of taxes. If I buy stuff, it'll be about $1000 worth right. jet pumps x2, full rebuild x2, impellers x2, hydroturf. It's not a light purchase. I have a friend who lives in the US and parents are in Ontario, so I may just ship to him and have him bring it over. Assuming he has a lot more credit before needing to declare anything.

Thank you very much for the info about the store though.

Agreed, I generally declare everything. Shipping to those stores will still save money though. Prices are much cheaper in the states, plus it will save you the brokerage fees and the very expensive international shipping. Good luck with the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back