High revs at idle. 1997seadoo jet ski xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy329

Defective fuel Gauge.

I have a defective fuel gauge in my 1997 seadoo xp jet ski. Pulled the gauge out and bench tested it. When i supplied voltage and ground directly to the gauge the needle moved up and the low oil light went on. Is there any way to test sending unit without pulling it out of fuel tank? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
richen the low speed screws about 1/4 turn, try again. if it still does it after 3 separate 1/4 turns, check for an air leak somewhere around your carbs.

They are running lean, either by lean jetting or by an air leak adding more air than is needed.

If it does that, even pulling the key will not kill it. You need to pull the choke to kill it.

Also check to make sure that the carbs are returning to idle after you let off the throttle. Check for binding in the cable, and for free range of movement at the butterflies and where the cable attaches to the carbs. And be sure the idle is set low enough to let it drop back down to 3000 (out of the water) and it will idle right around 1500 when in the water.

Thanks for your help

This problem only occurs after I start the ski. I havent put ski in the water because of this sound. The ski starts on a dime. It will run for 3-4 minutes perfectly and then screams. Scared the crap out of me. Do I still check for the same thisgs as you described?

Yes. As the ski gets warmer, the combustion chamber will tend to diesel more than when cold. So if you run it out of the water that long, you are getting the engine hot and it will run leaner (the combustion chamber environment will be leaner due to the higher temps).

It will not do this on the water.

You may be fine to just take it out on the water and run the crap out of it, and you will most likely see no problems.

Be careful how long you are running it out of water. Even if properly on the hose, it can overheat your impeller bearings due to them spinning without cool water washing the heat off of them.

You are the man.

Thanks for your help. Not the most mechanically inclined. I will drop ski in the water and run. I did think as long as the hose was hooked up and running water through the engine, i was safe. Will now limit how long i run ski out of water...

I think 4-5 minutes is tops for running it out of water and on the hose.

I have done this a couple times with my challenger. Yanked the key off and everything, and it still went to redline and screamed!!!

Scared the crap out of me. And that was with a brand new New In Box engine with less than 5 hours on it!!!:( I thought I was going to toast it.

Riched it up just a 1/4 turn and it has been fine ever since.

I never rev it on the hose anymore just in case it does it again.

But at least now I know it will die if you choke it.

I would still richen it up a little. Running your ski lean it NOT a good thing. It will eventually damage the engine.

Often the float in the fuel baffle starts to absorb fuel and will no longer float. You can buy a new float from ebay for about $15.

That is a common issue.

Is your reading low all the time, or just not working?

Just not working.

When i started it the first time this season (about 1 month ago) the
battery took a beating and i think it blew when trying to make initial start
up. I keep reading about the f 1 internal fuse inside the sending unit.
Is this common? To get to baffle, do i need to drop the fuel tank?

Going to drop ski in water today. Hopefuly no screaming engine.

Thanks

tommy

Put ski in water yesterday. Ran GREAT!! No engine screaming. Got back home and ran it off hose only 2 minutes. Still no screaming. Thanks for your help. Any help fule fuel gauge would be appreciated..

:hurray::hurray:

Great to hear it is running well!

As for the gauge, I think if it was a baffle issue, with a sinking float, you would still see at least the one bar saying tank is really low. Not no lights at all.

I would go through all the fuses. Then see if anything is hot going into the gauge. If the wires are hot, but no gauge, might just need a new gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back