Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stemito

Having problems with my 2000 Islandia. I bought it used 1 year ago. Starts fine, but when I get up some speed, engine cuts off and won't restart for hours! Took it to shop and they said it has very little compression in 3 of 4 cylinders and that I need a new engine to the tune of $8000!!
Does this sound resonable? Could anything else be causing these symptoms?

If the engine needs a rebuild, you could get it rebuilt for a lot less then that. It depends on what it needs. If your not mechanically inclined, find another seadoo repair shop to do the work.

Karl

Do a compression test your self, and let us know what the readings are. If you really do need a new engine, a rebuilt powerhead can be had for around 3300.00 if you look around. (that does not include the install labour)

If the compression is good, it could be a lot of things. You would have to check for spark and fuel to narrow it down a bit for us.

Aaron:cheers:

Here is the correct info on a compression test. It covers all the basics.
To test compression, remove all the spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the others are 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot then there is a problem. I hope this helps you.
Let us know how you make out.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Close.....

:agree:

Good info, but you will have to remove all six spark plugs, not two.:rofl: With the Mercury in your Islandia if you leave the lanyard off it should crank, but will have no spark. That will make doing the compression test easier, and you will not have to worry about getting zapped.

As for the reliability of a rebuilt, as long as it comes from a reputable supplier you should have no problems.

Aaron:cheers:

Checking the compression myself sounds over my head. I will have to take the shops word for it but rather than just throwing a new engine in, it sounds like they need to tear it down and narrow down the problem a little more, then we can decide if its best to rebuild or buy a new one:ack:
Anyone know the reputation of JOA boat shop in Buford, GA?
Should I get a second opinion from another boat shop first?
Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back