Help with low Oil Warning System

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomfrmnh

Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm trying to understand the low oil warning system. More specifically where each indication, son-alert and light get the signal from and what other circuits tie into it. It looks like both signals come from the ECM. The blue/Wht wire coming off the engine goes to the light on its own and the tan/blue goes to the son-alert through the engine harness plug. The light is working intermittently and the son-alert doesn't. Checked continuity on the resavoir cap and I can get the light to come on (although I usually have to giggle the kill switch?). But I can get the light to go out by moving the float switch to simulate full oil tank. I tested the alerter and it works fine. I can't tell if the signal for the alerter is being sent from the ECM. Is the ECM just supplying the ground? Any thoughts?

Have you bled the oil tank? There can be no air in it. There should be a bleed cap at the top of the engine mounted tank next to the sensor. With engine running loosen cap and wait for oil to seep out and tighten.

My issue is not with getting the alarm, it's that the alarm doesn't seem to be working. When ignition key turned on I don't get the "beep". It looks like the "low oil" signal (both lamp and alerter) come from the oil tank cap. Is there another source for the alarm?

More then likely it is the oil tank "cap" itself. The one right in front of the engine. I had to replace mine last year, the wires get old and crack inside. From my understanding, the "low oil indicator" is based on the float that is on that cap... and only when that small reservoir gets low, not the big 3 gallon tank.

Okay that is what I thought. When the ignition key is turned on though isn't the "beep" suppose to sound? Anyone know what the resistance is suppose to read across the switch? Didn't see that in the service manual. I do get continuity just not sure the resistance is within limits.

So I went back and read some of the other posts about the warning system. I now know the light (with oil can next to it) is not just low oil warning. I do not get the "beep" when the ignition key is turned on. I can get the light to come on by manually moving the float switch. I checked the "alerter" behind the dash, it's working. Is there another one? I thought I read somewhere that there were two. Really want the warning system to be functioning properly and could use some help on trouble shooting. Thanks.

Yes... on the merc/seadoo there are 2 buzzers. The round one, mounted in the helm is the "Seadoo" buzzer... and there is a smaller one taped into the wiring harness, and it's the Merc buzzer.

The Merc buzzer is (more or less) in line with the warning light, so it will sound when the light comes on.

Interestingly enough, although I put in a new engine mounted oil canister cap last year... I never did test that the oil light comes on? So after reading your post, I thought it would be a good idea to prove that it really does work! With the key on, I removed the cap, causing the float to reach the bottom contact, but no light or buzzer sounded? Thus I will be interested to here what you find out and if you get yours working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Merc buzzer is (more or less) in line with the warning light, so it will sound when the light comes on.

So the Merc buzzer gets its signal from the ECM? Where does the Sea-doo buzzer get it signals from? Is there a list on what the sea-doo buzzer goes off for or a wiring diagram for the boat side? Can't find that

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back