HELP!! RV Cover Bold Stripped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

I took my RV cover off to inspect the clearance. Clearance is perfect. However the lower left-hand bolt the threads in the block or mostly stripped. I didn’t do it it was from the previous owner. Plus they had bolts in there that were too short by about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch. It was barely holding the cover on.

I got a perfect clearance of .0125. Went to reinstall the cover in the lower left-hand bolt doesn’t want to take torque up to 15 pounds. I can get it torqued down to about 12 1/2 pounds maybe 13 but that’s it. I know they ask for 15.

I reinstalled all of the bolts in a crisscross pattern. All other 3 bolts are perfect and torqued down to 15 pounds. It’s just that one that’s at 12 1/2 pounds and that’s all I can get it too. I took the Lockwasher off to gain access to the deeper threads. Making sure not to go too deep and penetrate the block.

I put blue Loctite 242 on the threads generously. Do you think this will be fine for the season? I don’t see any gaps around the cover everything seems to be secured perfectly it’s just that one bolt that’s at 15 pounds.

I was thinking about replacing the engine during the winter anyway. But I’m just wondering if I have to tap this hole and oversize it or should I be ok at 12 1/2 pounds on that 1 bolt?

You should go ahead and put a helicoil in it. It's not uncommon for those to strip like that.. both the RV cover to case, and carb to RV cover, I've seen and had to repair with helicoils multiple times.

You should go ahead and put a helicoil in it. It's not uncommon for those to strip like that.. both the RV cover to case, and carb to RV cover, I've seen and had to repair with helicoils multiple times.
Thank you! I’m working on trying that now I just have no clue how.

I have the 21/64 drill bit to open it but it’s so hard to make sure it’s square. Then tapping it someone said make sure it’s square by I have no clue how.

Any tips?

DanSquires gave you the proper long-term fix. If I was you, I think I’d hit it with plenty of loc tite and get it tight as you can just to finish out the season.
Again, not the proper fix, but I think it would be ok for a little while. Up to you if you want to take the risk.

DanSquires gave you the proper long-term fix. If I was you, I think I’d hit it with plenty of loc tite and get it tight as you can just to finish out the season.
Again, not the proper fix, but I think it would be ok for a little while. Up to you if you want to take the risk.
Yeah I had that done earlier, but I kept having this nagging feeling to do it the right way lol
Since the RV is perfect, I should be able to fix this hole and not think about it again. Depending on how this goes I may not need to replace the engine after all. However, if I get this wrong, that's a wrap.

I have about 3/8ths drilled in the hole right now. I didn't go deeper because I don't know how to make sure it's square.

The engine is still in the boat, and as you know the face is angled and I'm doing this work hanging upside down so it's really difficult and it's freaking me out to be honest.

I got a helicoil kit from Napa. The autozone "OEM" brand has almost no taper on the tap so it's near impossible to get it started square. I didn't use it and will return it because it's garbage.

The Napa one has a good taper and I got it drilled out and tapped. I put a little loctite 242 on the coil and screwed it in 1 thread deeper than the surface.

It's perfect now and all 4 RV cover bolts are torqued to 15 foot pounds!

First time I've used one of these kits, it's a little nerve racking but not a bad job. And now that I understand it better I should have no problem doing this again in the future if something else happens later.

I got a helicoil kit from Napa. The autozone "OEM" brand has almost no taper on the tap so it's near impossible to get it started square. I didn't use it and will return it because it's garbage.

The Napa one has a good taper and I got it drilled out and tapped. I put a little loctite 242 on the coil and screwed it in 1 thread deeper than the surface.

It's perfect now and all 4 RV cover bolts are torqued to 15 foot pounds!

First time I've used one of these kits, it's a little nerve racking but not a bad job. And now that I understand it better I should have no problem doing this again in the future if something else happens later.
Glad it worked out. Happy boating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back