95 XP project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Good day everyone, this morning I took the small oil lines off while I had the carbs off, I just wasn’t positive that the oil injection pump was working, put new small oil lines on, drained out the oil tank ( I was bad and just added the xps oil to what was there before) changed the oil filter and here’s what struck me, the oil past the filter was perfect blue. When I had mixed the xps oil in with the oil that was in it the oil turned almost black so I don’t think oil was getting past the oil filter before, put the rebuilt carbs back on, set the idle, bled the oil pump, pulled the oil pump lever fully open when I started it and the small oil lines filled up I’d say within 4 seconds. Once my wife gets back from doing groceries I will water test it again,

AE89F0BB-462A-4E6C-872D-F0F3EEC31A7E.jpegMy lanyard popped off while I was driving, I knew it wasn’t holding the best. Anyone know of a good replacement that fits nicely? If not I was thinking I would just line the inside of the cap with a single layer of duct tape

On my machine the idle it can be reached with the seat off (98 GTX ltd). It is a tight spot but doable.

Last edited:
I will do some research on my own but wanted to see what you guys thought about the VTS, it doesn’t work. Is the first step to take the motor out and see if it’s working? From the reading I’ve done it’s usually the module. Also a fuse I can check too but I think I read that just continuously replacing the fuse can damage the MPEM? If it does end up being the module I’m thinking the 451m relay would be my best bet, I’ve seen other posts about repairing the OEM module By scraping away the epoxy and then replacing diodes and resistors and such but that repair seems beyond my capabilities. It looks like the 451 relay ties in nicely with the existing wiring. I can find most information on my own but if someone knows off hand 1. Where is the module? Is it in the VTS housing or is it in the grey box?

I had the 95 XP out today, I love that machine. I’ve been trying to do a power slide, well I’ve been working up to it anyways. Today when I did it, it was like the machine lost its edge or something ( it’s the first time that’s happened) and it went right around super fast like it was out of the water for a second, went around 180 degrees and then caught again and I was going backwards. Thought I was going for a dip for sure but kept it upright. The machine is working flawlessly, I took the old oil out, changed the oil filter, changed the small oil lines, they filled back up so I ran it today for the first time on injection oil only. This one I will be keeping, unless I get one I like better of course😀. This winter I will recover the seat and buff the gelcoat out.

So the 95 xp is $$$ after I did the fuel lines, carb rebuilds - carb filters were scary bad inside - (that was the really crapped up pic I posted). It actually ran/ idled better after the carb tune. The 95 tops our right about 40-45.) My son tries to sink it ever time he rides (at least that's what it looks like.)

The 97 is a wip - - starts / idles well, but there is the slightest bit of hesitation with the throttle right when it starts up until it warms up - and I can really feel the changeover between the low / high jets when I ride it and the top end wasn't feeling right. (I burned almost a quart of syntetic 2 stroke oil in 60 minutes - while the oil pump was running full open with the busted cable. I'm gonna clean up the spark plugs and do the oil pump fix in the next week or so).

I'm sure that oil didn't help anything at the top range of the throttle - could really feel it stop working at 70% open, the oil didn't help.

I never did the rave valves either - and they don't look too bad to clean up - so will do those next and recheck the carb tune. The fact that it starts up so well is a huge improvement.

My ratios of working on vs riding jet skis is not very good.

So the 95 xp is $$$ after I did the fuel lines, carb rebuilds - carb filters were scary bad inside - (that was the really crapped up pic I posted). It actually ran/ idled better after the carb tune. The 95 tops our right about 40-45.) My son tries to sink it ever time he rides (at least that's what it looks like.)

The 97 is a wip - - starts / idles well, but there is the slightest bit of hesitation with the throttle right when it starts up until it warms up - and I can really feel the changeover between the low / high jets when I ride it and the top end wasn't feeling right. (I burned almost a quart of syntetic 2 stroke oil in 60 minutes - while the oil pump was running full open with the busted cable. I'm gonna clean up the spark plugs and do the oil pump fix in the next week or so).

I'm sure that oil didn't help anything at the top range of the throttle - could really feel it stop working at 70% open, the oil didn't help.

I never did the rave valves either - and they don't look too bad to clean up - so will do those next and recheck the carb tune. The fact that it starts up so well is a huge improvement.

My ratios of working on vs riding jet skis is not very good.
Sounds like you have a couple keepers, yea my 95 Xp tops out right around 45 as well. You might want to try cleaning the rave valves before doing anything else, if they are dirty they could be robbing you on the higher rpm’s. Glad to hear they are working out well for you

Back