Help!!! 1996 seadoo speedster issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettareid89

1996 seadoo speedster

Hello all, I am new to posting threads. Bare with me on this topic.

I have a 1996 speedster with twin 720 rotax engines, I just took it out of storage after two years. Here's what it is doing.. I put the DESS key on the post I get no beeps and the gauges light up for a quick second and go back off, and I hear a click coming from MPEM electrical box, sounds like it is in the MPEM supply fuse (5 amp). all the fuses and grounds in the boat look good, and show no sign of any corrosion or oxidization. When I hit the start buttons The gauges will light up for as long as I hold down on the button, and I get the same click in the electrical box as I did when I attached the DESS key. Also when I hit the buttons the RPM gauges will slightly jump.

I'm lost at this point! Here is what I have done so far.... I got Rid of the old twin battery set up and bought a brand new single marine battery that has 1000 MCA. I cleaned all battery connections. Only ground I have not checked was the two on the bottom of the engines. I will get there tho. I pulled apart, checked and cleaned all connections inside the MPEM box. I tried another DESS post. I tried my lanyard key on my other jet boat and straight away it acknowledged it was the wrong key. So I don't think it needs re programmed? Neutral switch I am unsure of, I did unplug it and tried manually crossing the connections and tried the key again and I still get the same thing (Lights for a quick second, and a quick click). I jumped a ground wire from battery negative to the ground post in the electrical box, also jumped one from engine block to ground post. I put 12volts to the beeper and it seems to work fine when power is applied but does not beep with key, even in diagnostic mode (press start buttons 5 times) I get nothing it just lights up gauges when I hit buttons. I also crossed the solenoids and both engines will whirl over free and easy, but will not start. All accessories work, bilge pump, blower and NAV lights.

Could it just be the MPEM is shot??

Im sorry for making this so long I just wanted to make sure I covered all the issues and things I have tried.

Any help or information would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks for your time and for reading.

Sounds like the MPEM is cooked.

So... when you brought it out of storage... did you try to charge the battery with it still hooked up to the boat?? Or try to start it with the charger hooked up? Both of those is a big no-no with a seadoo. Basically... if you get a voltage spike, it will take out the main diode on the board. Sometimes you can dig it out, and replace it.

The other issue could be... if you hook up the battery backwards... even for a split second... it will take out the MPEM.

I'm sorry I don't have a better prognosis... but I've seen this way to many times.

But with that said... pull, check, and re-seat every fuse, and keep your fingers crossed.

Hello ! First chek all the fuses with polymeter not with your eyes onle.second replays the solenoid if you can . then chek your start button if it works good. I hope to help you

Thank you Dr. Honda and nontas, sorry for getting back to you late, I never boosted or put a charger on it, I just put a brand new single 800 MCA battery in it. but I am sure it is the Mpem, there is a timer in these to keep the ski active for 33 seconds, and with OUT the DESS key installed on the post and depress either start button and it only lifts the gauges for a split second and gives the rpm needs a twitch. I'm just going to order an Mpem. I went over every fuse, and I even tried another DESS post and still the same thing. The weird thing is usually it's one side or the other on the Mpem that quits, I had a 95 speedster with twin 657X engines and it would run one engine in the heat of the day and then the port engine would fire and run when it was a cool night. Mpem was the cure.

How do you locate the diode? Thanks again for all who is reading my problem. Once this is fixed I will post here to make sure it helps others with these boats.

But i thinkg I understad what happen to you. I just buy a speedster 1996 and make completly resroration . I hope to don't have problems like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back