Hello from South Africa

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macafrican

New to the forum as member, but used it a few times to great effect in the past. Joined this week when ran into a troubleshooting problem (solved!)

Our boating : mainly a place called StFrancis Bay (S 34.142983° ; E 24.842404° ), which is a combination of tidal river, estuary, and access to the sea through a fairly tough river mouth - hence the change to jet boats. River is for fishing, wake boarding and skiing, sea is for fun and fishing. Wanted (needed?) something that can run very shallow, out-turn and out-run any wave. Waves here are BIG (this is where they shot parts of the old surfing movies Big Wednesday and Endless Summer). The Speedster 200 is great for river mouth launch, takes a full wave punch with a smile as long as you're not stupid on the throttle. Seen some guys jumping waves (clear in the air) with the smaller Speedster 155 - I try to avoid hard landings with my 5000 pound baby.

My first Seadoo was a Sportster twin rotax 16 foot, back in about 1996, had it for few years then got the Speedster 200 in 2006. (we get the international version which is twin 215Hp supercharged). No mods other than dual battery system - it's too dangerous out here to chance a single battery.

Looking for : slot in GPS speedo. Mine is kaput and with the river and seaweed I'm looking for a GPS speedo that can slot in exact same spot. My present speed system:
if hat blows off, then doing about 50mph
if sunglasses blow off, then doing about 65mph
Also need two new wind reflectors, as one sea launch had us punch straight through a dumping wave. Also want/need an elegant fish finder GPS plotter combo.

Complaints : fuel consumption is tough on the wallet at more than $4 per gallon.

About SeaDoo in South Africa : SeaDoo are very expensive down here in Africa as the market is small, so we'd have a fraction (1%) as many as the US market. a Boat that runs say $30,000 in the US becomes roughly $70,000 here at present exchange rates. Makes me mad, as we lived in Atlanta GA for a while and should have brought back one or two with me back then.

Will never go back to something else though!

Other interests : off-road safari in Africa : very into LandCruisers and camping rough Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, etc.
Dream trip : navigate the Zambezi river from the Indian Ocean to Lake Malawi with the SeaDoo and LandCruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back