Head/Cover bolts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

EvoV98

Ok I see this is a topic that’s both discussed and confusing. Going to put the top ends (93 XP, 94XP, 96SP) back together and I see conflicting info. Looks like the specs I saw only call for grease. But I see a lot about blue loctite. Either under the bolt head or on the threads with grease being vise versa. Which should I be doing?

Only a few places Iuse loctite on the Seadoos. I prefer marine grease or never-seez. I live in an area where getting these engines apart can be destructive. Not sure where I saw it but I began putting 518 on the bolt heads of the head bolts for sealing purposes. It mades sense to me so I do it now. Just a small bead. I coat the crap out of the length of the head bolt with marine grease, the same with the exhaust manifold bolts. I don't think either method is critical to the operation of the engine but how the engine comes apart in the future is my concern. :D I fight alot of these. :D

DC4EDED1-AF6E-4460-824E-6306CF89518B.pngI find that that loctite is called for in numerous places in the manual, in the attached photo it calls for 27 which if you scroll down is loctite 242 (blue) and synthetic grease under the head. I have never tried grease on the head cover bolts but it would worry me that vibrations could cause them to back out

You probably missed a few. :D :D I've spent countless hours disassembling these engines, drilling broken bolts, using heat, and every trick there is. I've had to cut a head in pieces to remove it and save the cylinders. I've thrown a complete engine in the trash :D There is an old saying that every15 minute job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day nightmare. LOL Us old timers make it easy for the next guy who... may be us. LOL :)

Last edited:
Follow the manual for grease and thread lock, use it where it shows for your model. Proper sealing and torque values depend on it.

Back