Having trouble winterizing 2004 RXP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

I’m having trouble winterizing a 2004 rxp supercharged. I know how to take care of all of the other steps but I’m stuck with adding the antifreeze in the open loop cooling part. I have a bilge pump in a bucket of antifreeze and a hose connected to the rear flush port. I start the engine and turn on the pump, but it appears that it builds pressure and doesn’t pump into the system. The exhaust starts smoking but no antifreeze comes out of the exhaust. I need antifreeze in the system as I live in northern Illinois that gets below -20 in the winter. Is there something I’m missing with adding antifreeze?

I have a similar setup, a large white 5 gallon bucket with a bilge pump in the bottom. My hose is clear so I can see if the pump is working, and I have the container as high as possible, usually I set it on the rear platform. Perhaps your pump is not pumping, or is weak.

I have a similar setup, a large white 5 gallon bucket with a bilge pump in the bottom. My hose is clear so I can see if the pump is working, and I have the container as high as possible, usually I set it on the rear platform. Perhaps your pump is not pumping, or is weak.
Ok so you think it just takes more pressure to get it into the system? The pump is working but I don’t know how high of pressure it makes. I’ll have to raise the bucket and make sure I get enough pressure with the antifreeze. With the engine smoking I just wasn’t sure if I was breaking anything

I have found that over the last couple years, that I need the help of height and gravity. I usually, start the pump till I see the antifreeze about to go into the fitting, just to make sure the pump is working, (it has a bad connection now and then). And really, I shouldn't have to raise the pump's height, I guess its like the water towers that small cities have, to create free water pressure due to height, and gravity, one of those, or both of them, (I need a more powerful bilge pump). Make sure you have some rags or something on the deck, because if you spill some anti freeze, it will smear the surface.

My setup is similar. Once the engine is started and I turn on the bilge pump, it takes less than 30 seconds to blow through a gallon of antifreeze and out the jet pump. Bucket is on the ground, bilge pump is submerged and hose is the clear type. I have a non-supercharged engine but is shouldn't make a difference. Maybe your bilge pump is weak or there is a restriction in the tubing you're using. Try flushing with the garden hose as you normally do and see if the water exits properly. If it does, your setup is defective.

I did mine with gravity today (and with a funnel in a dishwasher hose) and it took forever for the ski to grab the antifreeze (I was even afraid of overheating). However mine did leak pink at some point. One small trick (maybe): I had mine at a slight angle to the rear, maybe it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back