has anyone used ses for engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my 2nd engine from them on the water yesterday, ran well! Engine ran great, pulled strong, and I am breaking it in according to the sea-doo manual.

Only issue I had was my fault. apparently I missed something in the exhaust causing the engine bay to fill with smoke (not that much actually)... after an hour or so trying to find the leak, I just pulled the whole pipe. New gasket, Copper RTV stuff, and all cleaned up. Will reinstall this week, Thursday says 81 and sunny! Hope to get back on the water by then. If not, I'll take my '99 GTX out, which has 0.8 hrs on the new engine, and seems to be working well!

Got my 2nd engine from them on the water yesterday, ran well! Engine ran great, pulled strong, and I am breaking it in according to the sea-doo manual.

Only issue I had was my fault. apparently I missed something in the exhaust causing the engine bay to fill with smoke (not that much actually)... after an hour or so trying to find the leak, I just pulled the whole pipe. New gasket, Copper RTV stuff, and all cleaned up. Will reinstall this week, Thursday says 81 and sunny! Hope to get back on the water by then. If not, I'll take my '99 GTX out, which has 0.8 hrs on the new engine, and seems to be working well!

I bet the two halves didnt go together correctly...total biatch. I fight them every time. Really need 4 hands.

Any updates on SES engines? Mine is apparently on its way back from them should have it next week. Gettin excited to go play. Hope it all works out.

They did 3 engines for me. All look great. I have 2 in skis and both run great.

I'll have more details if the engines last the summer, or hopefully years.

Both are now broken in now and pull hard XP hits 7k wot, other hits 6800, but has stock prop. I did clean the RAVEs, haven't had it out since.

I'm just glad to have a warranty. And all my skis working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it is working out well for you. I will post updates when I get mine back. The only down side is the turn around time, just over 4 weeks, which is what he told me it would be. Stay tuned!!

Yea, mine took a while, but it was off season, so I wasn't too concerned. Even a week down in summer is too long!

That's why I had a spare 951 in my basement! 4 hours or less I can be back on the water.

Warranty is great, but I'm not missing a minute of summer.

I have one getting shipped back at the end of this week. Ill also update. About a month turn around also he told me 3 but that sounds right with shipping to him.

Yea, mine took a while, but it was off season, so I wasn't too concerned. Even a week down in summer is too long!

That's why I had a spare 951 in my basement! 4 hours or less I can be back on the water.

Agree, summer is way tooo short, but cannot afford to have a spare motor laying around. I should get it this Saturday. If the motor dies, then I can be back on the watef in 30 minutes, in my back-up toy, my boat. We get 3 months of boating weather here, need to make the most of it.

What kind of compression numbers are you seeing once there motors are broke in? I have yet to see a sbt engine hit anything over 140 psi once broken in. I'm going by 2 787's and one 717 i've had of theres.

I will check mine when I get a free moment, keep in mind I only run 951s, so the numbers will be lower than the smaller engines, but valid for their size. I also have a 02 951 with an original 30 hours on it to compare them to.

well ive been waiting almost 11 weeks for my engine from ses and was told it was a 4 week turnaround , ill let you know how my 787 works ... if i ever get it back... i sure hope it s worth the wait my sea doo season is short enough....

yeah I think mine took about 8, was supposed to be about 3-4. He also let me leave the flywheel on since i didnt have the puller and he timed it also, forgot to send my pto boot back not really a big deal since it shouldnt of even been on there he did say he would send me a new one, I figured it would just be faster for me to buy one than wait around. good thing becasue it never showed up. Dont really have any complaints with them except the turn around time.

so i called the guy just now in pa he almost didnt sound to interested and he had a dif price in his head than what i seen on his website and ebay and didnt go into details on the warrinty with me i think its a chance im not really up for taking

Consider FULL BORE. They have done work for me and you could not ask for a bunch of finer people. The owner of the shop does all the work. IMHO he really knows his stuff.

ya ive made so many calls ive lost count , various excuses !! starting to think ive been ripped ... calling paypal in the morning enough is enough i paid for this motor 11 weeks ago IN FULL ridiculous

I had my 720 done by Tom, The motor was locked up soild it had injested some water. The motor turned out great and Tom was extremly helpful when ever i called. The only complant that i had was the turn around time, Tom told me 4 weeks and it ended up taking them 8 weeks. Other than that they were great and i would use them agian. I don't like to talk bad about anyone but the truth is the truth.

ya tom seems like an honest guy , motor looks great i still have some work to do before i fire it up , i was pissed about the turnaround but apparently some of the blame goes towards canadian customs !! grrrrrrrrrr hopefully i get it in the water before next weekend , any tips or pointers when putting the motor back in ?? its my first engine swap on a sea doo....

I also have a 951 xpl engine at SES. I was told around Aug 14th or 16th. So we will see I am hoping not much later, summer is getting short. They seemed knowledgeable on the phone. I am getting the premium so I cant wait to see how it runs. I plan on keeping it so I figured it should be worth it. I will post my experience as soon as I get it back.

What kind of compression numbers are you seeing once there motors are broke in? I have yet to see a sbt engine hit anything over 140 psi once broken in. I'm going by 2 787's and one 717 i've had of theres.

i always wondered about that as well, had same 140 numbers on the one sbt that I broke in, it still ran strong enough that I wasn't concerned, but i remember my tuner actually making a comment about sbt saying that he didn't even see the point in the break in more than 10 minutes with SBT, "they're so loose I can't see how they even need a break in, they can't possibly stick" (something along those lines) i assume he was talking about clearance i have no idea what clearances they run, with my 787 I run .0065 and was getting 150 every time with a good stock head.

I also have a 951 xpl engine at SES. I was told around Aug 14th or 16th. So we will see I am hoping not much later, summer is getting short. They seemed knowledgeable on the phone. I am getting the premium so I cant wait to see how it runs. I plan on keeping it so I figured it should be worth it. I will post my experience as soon as I get it back.

I also have a 951 XP Limited that I sent to SES in early May and was told it would be 5 Weeks at that time for turnaround. I was excited about that and I ordered the Premium Package just like you did. It has now been 12 Weeks and I still do not have my engine back. I keep getting the same story and it’s starting to get frustrating. I understand some parts are tough to get and I can appreciate that, especially with these engines. I have heard good things about SES and that’s why I went with them for this project. I think when you have that much time to fix something without any results, is just flat out unacceptable. Not sure what I should do now, just hope that it gets done very soon or I will be getting a refund on this and my parts back.

i always wondered about that as well, had same 140 numbers on the one sbt that I broke in, it still ran strong enough that I wasn't concerned, but i remember my tuner actually making a comment about sbt saying that he didn't even see the point in the break in more than 10 minutes with SBT, "they're so loose I can't see how they even need a break in, they can't possibly stick" (something along those lines) i assume he was talking about clearance i have no idea what clearances they run, with my 787 I run .0065 and was getting 150 every time with a good stock head.

SBT cuts heads to increase squish and decrease performance....to make it last longer.

I just made a thread over at PWCT....Im so sick of people saying one thing to get you in the door and Not even calling to tell you what the deal is. I am working with a company that supports the sport like crazy....but the "week turnaround" is now in its 6th week.

I have a 720 that is being rebuilt by Tom also, sent motor in the first of May, he said I was put in the 5 week turn around time and still havn't gotten it back as of yet (aug 8th). It does seem to be consistent with the long turnaround time based on all the posts I've read on here. I have heard nothing but good results from SES, just takes a little longer than what we're told. I don't mind the wait as long as my engine runs good! Once I get it back then the big obstacle is putting the engine back in and to get it running. I will definately be looking at this forum for help and tips in getting the Doo up and running before summer is over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back