Hard to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CypherAZ

Went out to the lake today, and discovered a new problem. When we have the boat in the water it's hard to start, take it out of the water and it fires right up. Any thoughts? Don't want to get stuck anywhere.

Took the boat out today, but changed out the plugs first. Boat fires up great out of the water, and on the first start in the water. But after that it's very hard to start, choke doesn't help either. When we took the boat off the water it was hard to start at first, but once all the water was out of the pumps i would start up easy again. Any ideas?

I would do a compression test on the engine, to see what is going on inside.
Here is some information;
You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00. The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression, remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot then there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

Karl

I would do a compression test on the engine, to see what is going on inside.
Here is some information;
You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00. The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression, remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot then there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

Karl
did a compression test, engine #1 - 135psi/135psi, engine #2 - 135psi/140psi.

How old are the Batteries?

Does the motor turn over slower in the water?
I think I would check all electric connections.

solution?

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have a 96 challenger that has the exact same symptoms to a T.

same problem also. I noticed the last time out though that the mag plug was very wet when turning over after running and then sitting for a few minutes. Replaced that plug and she fires right up. Same thing again with new plug. Hold wot and crank and she starts, chugs a little, then gets going. So I am thinking flooding.

I figured it was n/s leaking down on this carb. ordered new one to use this weekend but it is worng one. Mine have a retainer to hold it in the carb and the new one screws in.

Since carb was off i cleaned things up around there. Verified pop off and n/s holds pressure. will try it again this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back