Hamilton turn or "jet spin" ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseguy

Is doing the Hamilton spin (180 spin) bad for your engine\boat? In my boat I have to full throttle forward then kill the throttle throw in reverse and throttle up again and she spins right around. Good technique to know if your in a bind and have to stop immediately.

Hamilton spin? Not sure what else you are doing to make it spin, but that will definately submarine your bow if throttled heavy enough. I can't say that I have tried this as a "spin" maneuver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is doing the Hamilton spin (180 spin) bad for your engine\boat? In my boat I have to full throttle forward then kill the throttle throw in reverse and throttle up again and she spins right around. Good technique to know if your in a bind and have to stop immediately.

Eventually if you subject that reverse gate to those kinds of forces you might break it right off, I believe the manual even says not to engage the reverse gate unless at a slow speed...

the Hamilton turn refers to the 1st jet boat ever built!.It was in New Zealand and the man that designed the jet as we know it,he was named Hamilton.(funny that).It was used to run the shallow,fast flowing rivers that are common in that country.As it turned.To prove he had a good concept.He was was the first person to take a power boat along the Colorado river.From the bottom to the top.He went UPSTREAM.Never been done before.His concept has been copied the worldover.As we know it know now.His Hamilton Jet units dont break when you do the spin.They are built to his standards.All jets can do it.But it is not recommended.Breakage!Jet boats can run huge horsepower in drag racing boats because there is no direct hookup.They are not the fastest boats.But they are VERY fast

Interesting story and thank you for sharing. I know what you’re saying I just don't want to see you break something that could have been easily avoidable. Enough hydraulic pressure exerted quickly onto the reverse gate will break something eventually on a Seadoo (maybe not on other boats but I don't know about them). If you tear the gate off you are probably going to damage other stuff as well and then you will be without a useable boat until you get it fixed (and it probably won't be cheap). Have fun but be safe my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back