Half Boost?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdeal26

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 rxpx 260 with 60 hours on it that I got from someone who just let it sit in their yard for about 9 years without running it at all. I took it home and put new gas and a battery in it and it fired right up. So I changed the oil and took it to the river and on the test drive I noticed that when hit it WOT in sport mode I get full boost on the gauge, but once it reaches about 55 mph the boost starts falling off to a little over half of what it was on launch and it will reach around 64 mph. Keep in mind im 6' 4inches at around 275 pounds so I figured that was why the top speed is slightly lower than expected. But is the boost normal or something I should be concerned about?

First things first...

Get the Supercharger rebuilt! The bearings have plastic fingers in the raceway that keep the bearings in order, and they become brittle over time and fail. When they do, they can either allow the compressor wheel to come in contact with the housing (Touchdown) or depart the raceway with the bearings into the PTO housing, destroying your oil pump and engine. Many have learned the hard way. I got off with a warning having it happen to me on a new to me 2011 with only 40 hours on it. All mine stayed in the raceway.

Now to the original issue.

The supercharger is gear driven so boost is a function of RPM so if you are WOT, you should be getting consistent Boost. If you are not, I would guess you have a leak somewhere in your intake hose plumbing. Check all of the hoses and clamps.

If you do have a leak, you will notice it like you do at WOT as the throttle is no longer restricting airflow. At partial throttle, boost can be maintained as the leak is offset by the throttle plate position.

You have an external intercooler so pay attention to the hoses and clamps there.

The supercharger clutch could be slipping also at high engine RPM, the wrong oil or an overdue rebuild could cause that.

The supercharger clutch could be slipping also at high engine RPM, the wrong oil or an overdue rebuild could cause that.
I was thinking that as well so I checked the supercharger using the finger test and couldn't get it to budge at all. I also pulled the supercharger to visually inspect it and all seemed well. I ordered the oil change kit through sea doo I believe it was XPS 5W-40 oil.

First things first...

Get the Supercharger rebuilt! The bearings have plastic fingers in the raceway that keep the bearings in order, and they become brittle over time and fail. When they do, they can either allow the compressor wheel to come in contact with the housing (Touchdown) or depart the raceway with the bearings into the PTO housing, destroying your oil pump and engine. Many have learned the hard way. I got off with a warning having it happen to me on a new to me 2011 with only 40 hours on it. All mine stayed in the raceway.

The supercharger is gear driven so boost is a function of RPM so if you are WOT, you should be getting consistent Boost. If you are not, I would guess you have a leak somewhere in your intake hose plumbing. Check all of the hoses and clamps.

If you do have a leak, you will notice it like you do at WOT as the throttle is no longer restricting airflow. At partial throttle, boost can be maintained as the leak is offset by the throttle plate position.

You have an external intercooler so pay attention to the hoses and clamps there.

First things first...

I was thinking about getting it rebuilt I should have went ahead and spent the money when I had the supercharger out, but I figured at 60 hours I could use it for one more lake trip before getting it rebuilt. The supercharger is not slipping as best I can tell.the ski has plenty of acceleration. I will check all the clamps and hoses for leaks. Do you think it could survive another 20 hours of run time?

My advice... Pull it out now and get it rebuilt, then drive the crap out of it without worry.

I won the lottery with mine failing in a way where nothing left the raceway. If the compressor wheel comes in contact, you will most likely have to replace the SC and your intake get showered with metal debris. If the bearings come out of the raceway, at min you will be paying for the engine to be pulled and a teardown.20200903_091658.jpg

20200903_091709.jpg

My advice... Pull it out now and get it rebuilt, then drive the crap out of it without worry.

I won the lottery with mine failing in a way where nothing left the raceway. If the compressor wheel comes in contact, you will most likely have to replace the SC and your intake get showered with metal debris. If the bearings come out of the raceway, at min you will be paying for the engine to be pulled and a teardown.View attachment 61747

View attachment 61746
I think that's what I'm going to do. It sounds much better than having the stress of worrying every time I get on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back