Had to do the walk of shame... Twice tonight

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

I had an issue with my hull flooding with water on Saturday. I thought the carbon ring was toast, to let that much water in, so fast. I brought it home, drained the water, started it and let it run for 10-15 seconds for a few times, then fogged the engine.

I greased the driveshaft and moved the bellows a bit forward to see if there was just not enough pressure, and took to the lake this evening. I put it in, still on the trailer and let it run. The seal wasn't leaking, but it did look like the hull was getting water in it. Doh!! When I took it out the other day, I forgot to put the hose back on from where I disconnected it from the head last fall and used a funnel to put antifreeze in it. It is kinda under the edge where I didn't see it at all before. It was pouring water into the hull. I had to drive back home and get a flat screwdriver, and clamp it back on. That was my first walk, since my mom had to ask why I had come back so soon? My parents live across the street from me. lol I had to explain what happened.

So, I get back to the launch, put her in and check for leaks. Not a drop in the hull leaking. Some guy was there with his kids on 3 Jetskis. He used to be a professional racer for Kawasaki, he said. His ski was badass, it sounded like a friggin' nitro drag car when he started it. When he took off, I wondered how held on, it was that fast!! We were talking for a few minutes and I hopped on and took off after he did. Everything was running fine, I made a few big circlels around the little cove and checked for water leakage, nothing, so I took off across the lake. The water was perfect for the most part, but a guy in a catamaran boat was running in circles about 600' offshore, making some great waves that the Jetski family was jumping. I got up some speed and launched off one, before landing in top of the next one. My back hurts!! When I landed, my battery strap broke, and the battery flipped on its side, but was still in the tray. Unfortunately, it ripped the black ground wire loose that goes into the electrical box at the back. Sigh, it just went dead. By this time, everybody had took off across the lake, I was there by myself. I was just about to jump in and tow it back to shore like a dog with a stick, when the guy on the Jetski came by. He towed me to shore, I was friggin' embarrassed. I'm always the one doing the towing, I've never had to be towed before, but he said that he has been towed more times that he could count. lol At least it is something easy to fix. He towed me at idle speed, but I got it running as soon as I got to shore, so it didn't seem like any water got in, and I let it run at the ramp for a few minutes while I held the wire on the negative terminal. Luckily, I have another new(er) rubber strap, so hopefully, that will work, but it's funny that it only has clips for one strap, whereas my SPX has a strap at each end.

Yea my old 96 Spx had 2 battery straps, not sure why the XP only has one.

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Some times you are the bug and some times you are the windshield... Just your turn to be the bug..

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad, last weekend I went out and I forgot to tighten the clamp on one of the cooling lines to the head. Middle of the lake it blows off and I damn near sunk the ski. Got a go pro video of the catastrophe lol

96 XP800!

I've done that same thing Adam. Not good, especially if it's the one from the pump. That pump really pumps a lot of water to the engine, and then no cooling to top it off. I've done that once

Made a good video though lol. You see me trying to get to land then you see the ski damn near tip over when I got off. Forgot to cut go pro off so there's about 7 minutes of video of me trying to drag the ski onto the beach to drain it. Then I give up and find a thirst buster cup on the beach and start bailing water out haha

96 XP800!

[MENTION=60330]AdamA96XP[/MENTION]

71.jpg

Been on both sides of the tow rope. Although one time being towed I had my 6 year old son with me and the guy that towed me went as slow as his boat would take us. Yes better safe than sorry and I'm glad he was there for me but Oh man that was a LONG ride back....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back