guage question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM8560

my 06 rxp gauges the temp lower right side , is this the motor water temp or is it seawater temp your riding in .? also the lcd is faded if I buy a replacemt is it plug n play for does it have to be programed to the ski ?

Mike,
I have an 06 GTX LTD, the temp on mine is the lake water temp. My display is faded and not even legible any more. I am going to repair it instead of shelling out $500 for a new IC. basically what happens is there is a thin piece of polarization material behind the lens that goes bad over time (UV sunlight). You need to carefully take apart the IC assembly and replace the polarization laminate with a new one. I just purchased it tonight and plan on making a youtube on how to replace it. There is very little info out there on how to do it but I did find a few sites. P.S. if you do buy a new cluster it does have to be programed by a dealer. Hope this helps.

Thanks mark Please let me know when your video is up. Sounds like a plan

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I have confirmed with complete certainty that the gauge cluster on a 2008 gtx can't be repaired. Very disappointing.

This same gauge cluster, part number 278002270 fits many different skis so if this is the one you have, you will need to buy a replacement or live with what you have. It is not possible to open the case without damaging the gauge.

I ordered a new one today from leaders rpm for $459. There are some used gauges available but the discount to the $459 is surprisingly modest and in my opinion not worth the risk to save $50ish. Will also cost about 50$ to map it to the ECM

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by Dealer with new one it will need programing then married to your Seadoo, If used just married to your Seadoo from 06 to about late 09 with CanDoo Pro.

I was told by Dealer with new one it will need programing then married to your Seadoo, If used just married to your Seadoo from 06 to about late 09 with CanDoo Pro.

This is correct info. However, the Candoopro guys also sell the '06 to '09 new clusters and preprogram them for your ski, then you can marry them to your ECU with the Candoopro system.

Not sure i know but have been planning to use the local dealer to map it to Ecm. I suppose i could hook it up and see if it runs???? Or could that cause harm?

It came from leaders, a multi brand dealer in michigan. They are a authorized seasoo dealer.

Rdfish1,
If you seadoo starts without marring that new gauge cluster let us know, because when an ECU see a new gauge cluster it will not start until you married that gauge cluster, it will start or just beep.

It won't hurt anything to plug it in, that's how BUDS will recognize it and set it to work with your ECU. However, it won't allow it to start until it is set up by BUDS/CanDoo.

I don't understand why just the LCD panels aren't rebuildable. There are services for various cars all over the place that will do that kind of work for pretty cheap. I have quite a few dead areas on my cluster as well but 500 bucks and dealer visits seems insane. My 2 dollar calculator issues the same technology.

I don't understand why just the LCD panels aren't rebuildable. There are services for various cars all over the place that will do that kind of work for pretty cheap. I have quite a few dead areas on my cluster as well but 500 bucks and dealer visits seems insane. My 2 dollar calculator issues the same technology.

Totally agree but this particular series of gauges cant be open, repaired and put back together. The fix is likely the same as other gauges but the case doesn't allow dor opening without destroying it.

The price of new gauges is horrible and given the widespread problem seadoo has had, there seems to be a design and engineering fault. You would think they might offer replacements for a much lesser proce as a customer svc gesture but not such luck. Proces are outrageous.

The gauges are ultrasonically welded together. They can be opened but it takes a lot of time and patience to carefully cut them apart. They can be repaired pretty easily once you get them open. Then they can be glued back together with some prep work first.

These gauges are like 10 years old and that's all they are designed to last. So, not an engineering fault at all. Actually, a very good engineering design that 95% will last it's desired lifespan. If you keep the UV light off them(keep ski covered) when you are not riding they will last a long time.

The gauges are ultrasonically welded together. They can be opened but it takes a lot of time and patience to carefully cut them apart. They can be repaired pretty easily once you get them open. Then they can be glued back together with some prep work first.

These gauges are like 10 years old and that's all they are designed to last. So, not an engineering fault at all. Actually, a very good engineering design that 95% will last it's desired lifespan. If you keep the UV light off them(keep ski covered) when you are not riding they will last a long time.

Fair enough. In my case, the ski had 60 hours and 7 years with no direct exposure to sun other than when it was ridden but im sure thats not true in most cases.

Re the gauge repair, i spoke to 2 different guys who perform gauge repair services as one of the services they provide and both said this gauge cant be repaired due to the case construction but perhaps not totally impossible. However, if 2 guys who do this for part if their living wont do it, im certainly not tackling it.

Probably the only reason they don't do it is because it takes so long to open it up and you have to be extremely careful as the clear plastic panel will crack easily.

What do have to lose? You should at least try to open it up and then I'd bet they would fix it for you. I had pretty good luck using a sonic cutter with a plastic blade but I still spent a couple hours on it. First one I did I cracked the clear panel after about 30 minutes. You just cant pry on it at all.

One of the easier projects I've tackled, though not inexpensive. My mobile mechanic is coming tomorrow. $40 to map to eco and that includes him coming to my house. Hard to beat that.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    843.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG