GTX steering hard left due to OPAS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dneon95

GTX 4TEC steering hard left?

I know this has been asked many times, but havent found the right answer. I recently bought a pair of 2003 Seadoo GTX 4TEC's and one of them wants to pull left at high speeds. I have to keep the steering to the right, just to keep it straight. I "think" the OPAS are lifting and droping correctly, but when I look, the left paddle is about 3" away from the HULL and the left paddle is more like 3 and 1/2" away. The other seadoo not having the issue, are both around the same. Can I adjust this one somehow, and if so, how exactly? I know some people are going to say remove them, and I will someday, just not yet. I know I can also put the PVC in there to shim them up, however thats not really the issue. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been asked many times, but havent found the right answer. I recently bought a pair of 2003 Seadoo GTX 4TEC's and one of them wants to pull left at high speeds. I have to keep the steering to the right, just to keep it straight. I "think" the OPAS are lifting and droping correctly, but when I look, the left paddle is about 3" away from the HULL and the left paddle is more like 3 and 1/2" away. The other seadoo not having the issue, are both around the same. Can I adjust this one somehow, and if so, how exactly? I know some people are going to say remove them, and I will someday, just not yet. I know I can also put the PVC in there to shim them up, however thats not really the issue. Thanks!

You're may be right...may not a lifting/dropping issue. But I'd block them up anyway.

If you bought them used....lesse...where to start....

What's really happening...handle bars aren't in alignment? Even at slow speed is correction needed? Does it have a wedge installed?....or did it at one time?....reason being....the steering cable could be short and in need of an extension. Or if there is a wedge on it w/o an extension....or had a wedge installed with an extension but now no wedge...in either case the cable will be ie either too short or too long respectively.

Here is what the manual has to say about adjustments...

1.jpg

2.jpg

It seems to happen at any speed, but I havent had them out too much yet. To keep the ski straight, I have to keep the bars turned toward the right, almost like a misalignment on a car. I did buy them used. If you are talking about a pump wedge, there isnt one. These are all stock. I was going to block them up, but it seems like the one paddle is just the wrong spacing so i thought i would try that first. As for the manual and screen shot, thanks for that. I am assuming the tie rod is the plastic piece coming out of the hull that hooks on to the paddle. I didnt realize i could just turn it. Ill try that. Someone had mentioned a filter on the hose coming in. Is this in the main hose up in the back of the jet pump, or are they on the hoses that go to each paddle. Im afrid to remove those because it seems like the hose wants to get sucked back into the hull.

You wouldn't notice it at SLOW speeds as they would not create enough force due to the ease for the water to go around them as compared to pushing against them...

So I adjusted the tie rods on each OPAS so they matched my other SKI. Didn't help. So I did the Block UP mod with PVC, and it did help, but it still wants to pull left. On the other SKI, the OPAS are working properly, and goes perfectly straight. I'd like to match that without removing the OPAS. Any other ideas? I'd like to clean out the filter, my question is, where is it? Everyone talks about a 90 degree albow, but i dont see it. Is there a filter on each side, or just one going in? I really dont want to take it in to the shop. Thanks!

A coupla possibilities....

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...=19&c=0&d=-OFF-POWER-ASSISTED-STEERING-SYSTEM

Part #6...the lever....when removed from the pump is able to turn 360 degrees...ie screw the travel play tighter to the tunnel or away. Also...it is very possible...that after the last ring replacement...the pump gasket was caught and is holding the pump slightly outa alignment...remove the pump and make sure all is well there.

the 90* elbow is on top of the pump...has a rubber hose on it. Afer you remove the pump you should be able to see the screen and any potential blockage. Personally...if you already have them blocked up...and you're still experiencing a prob...that ain't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back