GTX RFI engine "knock"?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

787Rocket

I have a 02 gtx rfi. I just rebuilt my whole engine. New crank, new bearings, new pistons with rings. Everything. It has like 30 hours so far and for some reason my oil pump came unbolted and yeah... Ran till it over heated. I think the pistons stuck a couple times after trying to get back to the ramp and when I got back it had a "knock".
When I got home I checked compression (back piston is 155psi, front is 140psi), I rotated the crank with plugs out amd could hear no scratching/grinding of metal, I put a pencil on each piston and while i rotated the crank back and forth to check for any major play in rod bearings and theres none. Then i got a strait pick and scraped the piston heads and felt no divits or signs of a burnt/melted piston.
A week later I put the pump back on and primed it and everything and ran it. I was wakeboarding behind it for probably about 30 min then rode it around the lake. The first like 15 min or riding it i kept it at half throttle and it ran good then i jumped up to full throttle and it misfired a couple times i think because plugs were oiled up. But it stoped randomly misfiring and ran like normal. No knock within the throttle range but when i drop back to idle the knock comes back.
I work at a boat dealership and asked my cousin who has worked on engines his hole life about what he thinks about the noise (he listend to the engine and the "knock" also) and he says he thinks my bottom ring burnt up and its smacking my cylinder wall.
Thats alot to read but to me every detail counts. If you guys have any thaughts on what my problem exactly is or if you want me to chec. Anything out please leave a comment.

Thanks!

Any knock on a seadoo is a bad sign, of some sort of engine failure, usually lower end, rod crank issues. That oil pump coming off, would have led to an engine failure, top end, and or bottom, ( seemingly yours) .

Also 15 psi difference between two cylinders is a sign something mechanical is failing.

Okay. Thanks. Ima take my engine out today and pull top end off to look at my pistons and rings. I know mechanically there are certian clearances involved and everything but its brand new everything. If the lower bearings feel like its all normal should i be pretty good?
Ill take pics of everything as i take it off and post them later today to.see.what you guys think

So i pulled my R.A.V.E. valves out and plugs amd rotated my crank and on the 155psi cylinder the piston skirt looks good. A little discoloration at the exaust port but no scraping. All the machined lines are there. On the 140psi cylinder its like nothing but scrapes down the side of it. Cant see a machined line at all through the rave valve port.

So i pulled my R.A.V.E. valves out and plugs amd rotated my crank and on the 155psi cylinder the piston skirt looks good. A little discoloration at the exaust port but no scraping. All the machined lines are there. On the 140psi cylinder its like nothing but scrapes down the side of it. Cant see a machined line at all through the rave valve port.

Bingo!

I found the problem. Piston was wore down bad and has lots of play in it. Im ordering a new piston kit for one cylinder and new rings for the other. Im cutting it close with my wear limit. Limit is .22mm. Im at .2mm. I shook my connecting rods to check bearings and they are "stiff" as then could get. Like brand new. "No" play really

You will have to hone the cylinders. The aluminum transfer on the cylinder walls will ruin the new piston and rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back