GTX RFI 787 Top End Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmarkie74

Anyone got any tips or tricks on installing the square o'ring in groove on the top of the cyclinder piston jugs. I have purchased 2 kits WSM kits with pistons, rings, and seals. Everytime the square gasket will not go in without too much excess. Gasket seems to be a little bit too long.

1661132996405.png

I don't know how much extra you have but generally working it in and letting the gasket stretch along the entire length helps. I use marine grease on those rubber gaskets but ifyou put that on there they grow a little bit adding to the fitment issue. I don't think I ever had to toss one so they generally fit... prodding and massaging often required. Good Luck !!

I don't know how much extra you have but generally working it in and letting the gasket stretch along the entire length helps. I use marine grease on those rubber gaskets but ifyou put that on there they grow a little bit adding to the fitment issue. I don't think I ever had to toss one so they generally fit... prodding and massaging often required. Good Luck !!
It's a good 1/4-3/8" or so. Not so sure I can prod and message that much. I hate to think that it takes more time to put 2 gaskets in than rebuild an engine.

It's a knack. :) I use WSM. I do find some o-ring gaskets are a bit long at times but I can't say they are WSM. I've cut and glued them. :D

It's a knack. :) I use WSM. I do find some o-ring gaskets are a bit long at times but I can't say they are WSM. I've cut and glued them. :D
I've considered the cut and glue method also. Being in the Manufacturing Industry, they do sell round o'ring kits. The o'ring material is on a roll and you just superglue the ends together. I'll probably do that, rather than fight them, and put a dab of silicone over the cut joint.

If you work in the business you know they have a kit made for that. I don't have one but they work better than the method I use. LOL Then again, we're sealing low pressure. I know your wrestling with it but the o-rings will generally conform. 1/4" isn't very much. Whatever you decide you likely won't have any issues. Good Luck !!

I coat my rings in marine grease,,,this will really help settle the ring to the bottom of its groove,,,i have my special plastic mallet that i use to "tap" and fully "seat" the ring,,,has worked every time,

If you work in the business you know they have a kit made for that. I don't have one but they work better than the method I use. LOL Then again, we're sealing low pressure. I know your wrestling with it but the o-rings will generally conform. 1/4" isn't very much. Whatever you decide you likely won't have any issues. Good Luck !!
I ended up cutting almost 7/16" and gluing them back together with super glue to make them fit. Button everything up this evening. Engine started righ up. Ran on garden hose. No leaks. Here we go break in!

I coat my rings in marine grease,,,this will really help settle the ring to the bottom of its groove,,,i have my special plastic mallet that i use to "tap" and fully "seat" the ring,,,has worked every time,
My preference as well. Marine Grease and some firm persuasion. LOL

Out of curiosity......how is marine grease better than regular tub grease?
Marine Grease is not water soluable so when you put it on it stays. Some people use loctite 518 on those o-ring type gaskets but unless I have damage to the sealing surfaces I use marine grease.. I coat the living hell out of most of the engine bolts with marine grease and/or Anti-Seize compound. Skis around here run in brackish and salt water which makes a lot of engnies impossible to disassemble. I do my part. LOL

Marine Grease is not water soluable so when you put it on it stays. Some people use loctite 518 on those o-ring type gaskets but unless I have damage to the sealing surfaces I use marine grease.. I coat the living hell out of most of the engine bolts with marine grease and/or Anti-Seize compound. Skis around here run in brackish and salt water which makes a lot of engnies impossible to disassemble. I do my part. LOL
Oh...I thought marine grease was for trailer wheel bearings, etc. Most videos I have seen, show assembling o'rings with everyday axle grease. I understand the "Skis around here run in brackish and salt water which makes a lot of engines impossible to disassemble". I rebuilt a GTI 717 that was from Florida. Broken bolts and hard as hell to get apart. Cleanup was a nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back