GTX Limited wont run properly in the water?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkody

:( Good afternoon all,

First things first, great forum,very useful.

My seadoo 1999 GTX Limited has problems.When its out the water with a hose connected it seems to run fine (revs fully, ticks over, not lumpy).

As soon as it floating it runs lumpy ,wont tick over properly and wont rev out.
Its top speed is normally 51 ,52 mph ,at the moment Im struggling to get 35,40 mph AAArrrgghhhh!

List of things Ive done.

New NGK sparkplugs
trimmed plug leads back 1/4 inch
cleaned fuel filter
adjusted idle speed

Any help is much appreciated.

Fuel lines have been changed last year along with new engine and fully rebuilt carbs. Scratching my head!

Compression is good, was fully serviced when de-winterised, been used twice since(running great) put it in the water last monday,again running great.
Started it on friday, running like a dog! exhaust back firing and flat spots when throttling up (no top end):confused:

New sparkplugs been fitted, tested for a spark, strong result.
could it be dirty fuel????

bad gas can be the problem, but not likely I would say. I would retest compression first, takes 5 minutes and tells you a lot, give us the numbers.

check all your exhaust connections, are your raves working properly, could also be a broken reed, symptons of what you describe.

bad gas can be the problem, but not likely I would say. I would retest compression first, takes 5 minutes and tells you a lot, give us the numbers.

check all your exhaust connections, are your raves working properly, could also be a broken reed, symptons of what you describe.[/QUOTE

excuse my lack of knowledge ,what are raves, if there working properly???

OK - Think Ive found the problem,

I arranged for a seadoo mechanic to take a look as its parked on a jet dock.
after much investigation (pulling pipes off, taking fuel samples)he found a small amount of water in the fuel. He said its has to come out the water,carbs stripped down and fuel tank cleaned.
So my questions are?

Will the dirty fuel not just burn off with more use?
How many hours labour would I expect to pay the mechanic?
Is it easy enough to do myself?

any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
you said water in the fuel not dirty fuel, if it where just water you could get away with sucking it off the top......and if it was dirty how are you going to just burn the rest of it off?....you get one little sand pebble in your needles and it will no longer run......amount of time....quite a bit with what is being done....doing it yourself.....have you ever rebuilt a carb? are you mechanicaly inclined?

sorry, I always call it sucking off the top...a little decieving as the water does sink, the gas floats ontop of the water.....but you are saying dirty gas....is there junk in the bottom of your tank...or just water?

water in gas

If you only have water in the gas and it is not dirty I would fill the tank and add a can of Sea Foam or other additivie that will dissolve water. If you dissolve the water it ends up completely mixed / disbursed in the gasoline. The small amount of water will not affect engine performance. When it stays in droplet form as it is in your tank it gets sucked in as indiviodual droplets and causes the engine to run poorly. Worth a try as opposed to pulling the tank and draining it.

When I say dirty fuel, I meant water in it..... and yes there is water in the tank and carbs, I understand it needs the tank draining and cleaning then drying, then take the carbs to bits and clean them........... even tho Im quite good mechanically, I think im going to leave it to the experts.
Thanks for your responses:cheers:

Update for future reference

Seems to be all sorted, after a full rebuild of the carbs and flush of the fuel tank.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back