GTS Exhaust Leaking Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draikes

I have a exhaust leak on my 1998 GTS seadoo. About a month ago the bolts and nut backed out from the exhaust pipe so I went ahead and replaced the head gaskets and the exhaust gasket and new bolts and nut . I do not have a torque wrench but tightened them to what I thought was ok. I took to lake, took off seat and could see water spraying out (at BLUE arrow). I took my wrenches with me and tightened some more but could still see water spraying out and filling the hull. You can see its a little black in color where the BLUE arrow is. What should I do to resolve? Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_153911422_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220907_153911422_HDR.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220907_153917835_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220907_153917835_HDR.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220907_153925007.jpg
    IMG_20220907_153925007.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 15
There could be some imperfections in the mating surface. Maybe it's not tight enough. Hard to say. Even though the manual does not call for it, I use a little rtv on the gasket. I would give that a try and see if it seals the leak.

There could be some imperfections in the mating surface. Maybe it's not tight enough. Hard to say. Even though the manual does not call for it, I use a little rtv on the gasket. I would give that a try and see if it seals the leak.
First thank you so much for the info. When you say rtv do you mean Permatex? A specific name brand would be helpful so I can go purchase. Thank you again

Thank you so much for the reply. I put a out a 3/16 bead around head and then a thin coat on top of gasket with my finger. Is there a way to test without pulling 20 miles to the lake?

Confession,,,the only time I use red copper high heat silicone on a gasket is when I reuse it,,,(on my race ski,,,since it comes part so often,,,lol),,,otherwise,,,I no longer apply the sealant…it wants to “squeeze” the gasket….however..on that copper ring on the exhaust pipe it’s the large clamp…high temperature red silicone is must.

Thank you so much for the reply. I put a out a 3/16 bead around head and then a thin coat on top of gasket with my finger. Is there a way to test without pulling 20 miles to the lake?
You could try running it on the hose for 1-2 minutes (not longer than that since the driveline parts are not cooled out of water) and see how it holds up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back