GTR-X 230 vs RXP-X 300

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary S

I've narrowed my PWC search down to the GTR-X 230 and the RXP-X 300. I am a newbie and would like to hear your guys' thoughts on what you think would be the better ski for me. I'm sure I'd be plenty happy with the GTR but for just a little more money I can buy the best. So why not...right? Any thoughts? I know the GTR runs on regular gas which is a plus. Would their be a significant difference in fuel economy as well? Btw... Only going to be riding CA/AZ lakes

I once had a blonde girlfriend which I've loved but my mother didn't like her. I dumped her and got a brunette,which my mother liked. She said : " son,she's the one! ". It turned out she was a psycho. I then said I can never rely on what others think,including my mother and I'd have to make my own important decisions. Ideally I would've kept the blonde and a normal brunette...perhaps a redhead for diversity...all at once...but you know how that turned out...
So if you got to test both,but can only keep one,there's nobody who can provide a better answer than you

There are 2 reasons I can think of for buying the GTR 230 over the RXP-X 300 (other than price). The first is that some people say the GTI hull (on the GTR) is more stable at slower speeds. This makes it easier to ride for less experienced riders. The second reason is if you're going to be handing the keys over to less experienced riders, having them hop onto one of the fastest PWC's on the market could be dangerous. Even the 230 is very powerful. Good luck ...they're both fantastic machines.

The 215hp Supercharged PWC and above are very fast and very dangerous. They are large water or long river craft. Need lots of room and travel with like PWCs and experienced riders. What bodies of water are you planning on using??
3ft deep has a great point, are you going to be letting anyone ride your ski?
Considered buying a used ski or two?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input ... I live in So Cal., so most of the lakes near me have a 35 mph speed limit so stability at slower speeds is a big deal. Will be taking it occasionally to larger lakes (Havasu, Powell, etc...). Originally ruled out the Rxt-X 300 because it's a large 3 seaters and I'm assuming it's heavy and not so nimble? I do need to schedule a test ride to be sure. Just hope I can get my hands on all of these skis...

I will be pairing the supercharged ski with a new spark. Because who wants to ride alone!? There will be a Lot of new riders operating both so learning keys will come in handy.

The more and more I hear about the stupid rules in CA the more I wonder why anyone would live there. 35 speed limit on a lake?? Here in TX, if there is water you can go as fast as your heart desires. Anyways.....the 300 might be a bit too much for your first ski. The GTR 230 is probably the way to go especially with other people driving it as well.

With the mods to my GTI-130 , I have had a chance to ride up to 62 mph on a GTI hull.
The ride can be brutal along with reduced directional stability at that speed .
When going from Norfolk to Portsmouth at the mouth of the Elizabeth river in Virginia , I have to drop my speed to 25 mph to keep from getting wet and roughed up sort of speak .
Not unsafe just tiresome .

For every boat their is a point at witch the motor's hp matches the capabilities of the hull.
For me 55 mph on a GTI hull felt underpowered .
As you run up to between ( est 163 hp ) 58 to 60 mph , you feel that the engine hp / hull match is found.
So if your into sustained speeds above 60 mph , assume your not using the PWC on a lake , I would not get a GTR -230 .
The best choice is a GTX - 230 with the S3 hull that's good for sustained , high speeds at least so I have read .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back