GTR 215 or RXT 260

GTR 215 or RXT 260

• GTR 215

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • RXT 260

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPizzle

Hey all,

I have been wanting the GTR 215 for a few months, but I then looked into the RXT 260. The RXT 260 had a few other cool features that I liked.. Water Temperature, cruise control, hinged seat & 260 HP.

The only other option I would want would be a depth finder (from Sea-Doo). $2,000 isn't that much for those few extra options. It would just mainly be me riding around by myself just out there having some fun.

Also, what about the storage capacity... The GTR has 30.* gallons & the RXT only has 13.* Is that just because of the tilt steering? And is 30 gallons too much, or is 13 gallons too little.

What does everybody think? GTR or RXT?

Last edited by a moderator:
The GTR and RXT have different hulls. The GTR is lighter and smaller than the RXT. Depending on how you ride, you may need the bigger hull (ocean, aggressive wave jumping). I personally would want the GTR. It's a new model for 2012 and is going in the right direction. These boats are getting too big and heavy, even though they have some nice features. You will like either one.

RXT hands down. The RXT uses the S3 hull which is far better than the one the GTR uses (old RXT hull I believe by the wy it looks). And you already know all the other added features such as cruise control etc. price difference between the 2 isn't that much.

I think 30 gallons means storage as in room for stuff, not the gas tank

Yeaaa. I know. But will 13 gallons of storage be enough for a few towels, a shirt.... Etc.

The GTR and RXT have different hulls. The GTR is lighter and smaller than the RXT. Depending on how you ride, you may need the bigger hull (ocean, aggressive wave jumping). I personally would want the GTR. It's a new model for 2012 and is going in the right direction. These boats are getting too big and heavy, even though they have some nice features. You will like either one.

I plan on riding in the Gulf of Mexico, so not really aggressive, but a few waves here & there. I have been wanting the GTR for a while now... But my eye caught the RXT, so. And I agree they are getting pretty big for a jet ski...

RXT hands down. The RXT uses the S3 hull which is far better than the one the GTR uses (old RXT hull I believe by the wy it looks). And you already know all the other added features such as cruise control etc. price difference between the 2 isn't that much.

Thank-you for your input. That's another reason is that S3 hull... That's good stuff from what I have heard.

I thought about the GTR but I ended up ordering an RXT-X. The RXT and GTR both seem to be awesome skis.

I'm a big guy, so I wanted the extra room and stability of a bigger ski, plus the extra gadgets and 260 horses. And I read great things about the S3 hull. Plus I'm always a bit leery of buying a model during its first year of production... but I am probably just paranoid.

I think the only difference in storage is that you can remove the front tray of the GTR and put stuff below it, where the RXT only has the front tray (I believe the bottom part connects to the engine bay so if you put something in there, it could roll back to the engine). But that is just my assumption. But the RXT-X's tray has a watertight closing mechanism and can be removed.... I dunno about RXT or GTR.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

Note that you can also get options installed onto the GTR at the dealer (check out the catalog of extras on SeaDoo's shop online)... I am having the dealer install cruise control, a rear boarding step, and a bilge pump to mine (each was approx $200)

I thought about the GTR but I ended up ordering an RXT-X. The RXT and GTR both seem to be awesome skis.

I'm a big guy, so I wanted the extra room and stability of a bigger ski, plus the extra gadgets and 260 horses. And I read great things about the S3 hull. Plus I'm always a bit leery of buying a model during its first year of production... but I am probably just paranoid.

I think the only difference in storage is that you can remove the front tray of the GTR and put stuff below it, where the RXT only has the front tray (I believe the bottom part connects to the engine bay so if you put something in there, it could roll back to the engine). But that is just my assumption. But the RXT-X's tray has a watertight closing mechanism and can be removed.... I dunno about RXT or GTR.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

Note that you can also get options installed onto the GTR at the dealer (check out the catalog of extras on SeaDoo's shop online)... I am having the dealer install cruise control, a rear boarding step, and a bilge pump to mine (each was approx $200)

You mentioned about being paranoid about buying something the first year it comes out and I have to agree with you most of the time. In this case I disagree since the GTR is nothing more than a RXT 215 with a different hood and iBR from what I understand.

Thank-you for your opinion. I'm a smaller guy. Haha, so I don't know which one to pick. I love the extra gadgets & the 260 horses, the S3 hull... To me that' just a plus. The GTR's tray is removeable & it's HUGE. I still haven't seen the RXT's, but if there's enough room for a few towels & whatever, I should be good.

I know I can get a depth finder & cruise control installed on the GTR (I'm planning on it if I go with that ski), possibly a reboarding step... We shall see how much trouble I have getting on the back after I fall off. Haha.

What about the water temperature gauge on the RXT. I don't think I can get that on the GTR.... And is it possible to get the X Package on the GTR??

The GTR should have all the options you mentioned standard save cruise and depth gauge. Those can be added on and no you cannot get the X package on it. By the time you add all those options you're paying the same price as the RXT or close to it. Just my opinion

Yea, that's what I'm saying.... It's almost a toss up between the two for me.

I'm probably going to go with the RXT 260. Thank-you all!

As the owner of a 2011 RXT, I can offer the following comments:

The water temp gauge is standard.
The boarding step is standard.
The depth finder is optional.
The removable and water-proof front tray will easily hold a couple of towels.
There is a smaller, non water-proof, storage compartment immediately in front of the seat.
I installed a battery isolater switch (to facilitate hooking up a battery tender) plus an auto bilge pump however I believe most dealers will offer the bilge pump as an option.

Overall I love the RXT!!

As the owner of a 2011 RXT, I can offer the following comments:

The water temp gauge is standard.
The boarding step is standard.
The depth finder is optional.
The removable and water-proof front tray will easily hold a couple of towels.
There is a smaller, non water-proof, storage compartment immediately in front of the seat.
I installed a battery isolater switch (to facilitate hooking up a battery tender) plus an auto bilge pump however I believe most dealers will offer the bilge pump as an option.

Overall I love the RXT!!

Perfect. I think you made up my mind! Thank-you very much!

I'll give you my opinion on Sunday. I'll be at the local seadoo demo tour and I'll make sure to ride a RXT 260.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should have added that the RXT 260 likes a lot of gas!!! I can't comment on the GTR 215 but imagine it wouldn't be as thirsty as the RXT 260.

I can tell you that the difference between the 08 RXT 215 and 08 RXTX 255 is marginal when it come to fuel economy. Almost a wash actually from what I've seen. You keep 'em at WOT and you can watch the gas gauge go down. You wanna play, you're gonna pay :thumbsup:

After getting a chance to ride most of seadoo's pwc line up today i'll still tell you the RXT over the GTR. I got to ride the GTR today quite a bit, but unfortunately they didn't have an RXT there. However, there was a wake 215 model which is the same hull as the RXT only with the 215hp engine. I liked that one more than the GTR but not by much. The extra power of the RXT would help in that department. I also learned that the GTR is nothing more than a GTI with a 215 sc/ic motr in it, so my statement saying that its the old RXT hull is incorrect. All in all RXT 260 > GTR 215.

Had a 2011 GTI 155 Ltd same hull as GTR 215. Ive tried the GTR its a lot of fun. Top end it felt loose to me. Traded my GTI 155 in a week and a half ago for a 2012 RXT 260. Reasons in rough water the GTI hull beats you the hell up . You cant go wrong with the RXT 260.

Let us know good luck

Bringing back an old thread... But I bought the RXT 260. I just took it out today for the first time and WOW! It is awesome! I can't wait to ride it some more.

Bringing back an old thread... But I bought the RXT 260. I just took it out today for the first time and WOW! It is awesome! I can't wait to ride it some more.

Glad to hear you like it now put some hours on it!!!

If you have 2 Grand to blow, it's a no-brainer. I love my GTR, but would also LOVE an S3 hull. The S3 hull is great. For me it was bang-for-my-buck and I'm thrilled. I'm adding the things I want and not paying for things I don't (I don't need tilt steering/suspension/seat blets and an air bag, even at 43:) ). Though admittedly, the S3 hull is the big miss... it is what it is. The only time I think about it is on really choppy water. If you ski on consistently smooth water... 2 grand is a lot to debate, if you ski on chop... go S3. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back