GSX Limited, I feel inadequate.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

themk

Sorry, bit of a rant...

I love my GSX limited, it's fun, and the 947 engine is punchy and really makes it dance. However, I'm kind of feeling like I'm at the end of the road with the ski. It seems like every time I do maintenance it takes 5x the time it usually does. I think I've ridden about 10 hours this year, and probably put 80 hours of my labor into working on it. Even something as "simple" as rebuilding the carbs took me 40 hours.

Basically, here's where I'm at. I still have my lean running problem, but the thought of working around and removing all of those fuel hoses as well as removing everything necessary to get to the fuel selector valve is daunting to me. I also have 205 hours on the original crank and top end, which, if I keep running lean I'm sure I'll burn up a piston one of these days. I'm also down to 112PSI in both cylinders (though, I am also at 6000ft elevation so that does play a role in it). We all know that a top-end only job on a 947 just isn't going to happen. I don't really have all the tools, time, or patience to remove the motor and do the rebuild job properly. I love the ski, I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I wouldn't mind paying someone else to do the labor, but I haven't found anyone (yet) that will even look at a 2-stroke seadoo (though I haven't quite exhausted my options of repair shops yet).

Do I need to just cut my losses and sell the ski as barely running? What would I buy to replace it? I've been really tempted by a 2008 RXP my buddy has.
Thanks for reading, haha.

I takes time to get the skis in shape. There is generally a lot wrong with them so it's rarely simple. One thing to consider is you are getting it done correctly so you'll have a reliable ski in the end. What you are doing is the only way to accomplish this. I don't even count the hours I spend working on skis. You never know what you are going to run into. :) I enjoy restoring and resurrecting the old skis and any old equipment and good work takes time. YOu're in good company here. Good Luck !!

I feel ya man, I'm on my second brand new 947/951 engine for just this season. Just can't seem to get it quite right I guess. The only thing keeping me with the 2-strokes vs going with something new that requires less maintenance is the fact that despite 2 brand new engines, multiple carb rebuilds, and a bunch of other repairs, I'm pretty sure it's STILL cheaper than a brand new or newish SeaDoo of comparable ability. Plus the 2 strokes are just more fun in my opinion. Much lighter and easier to get air of of waves/wakes.

For me at least, there's a certain satisfaction that comes with owning and repairing your own toys. It somehow makes riding them more enjoyable.

Editing to also mention that the 951 is BY FAR the most frustrating toy to work on. I can't even count the number of times I've cursed out the engineer who designed this mess

It is a tough decision. It all depends on how much you actually like working on the m and your budget.
For me I like the tinkering and the feel of the 2-strokes and the low cost. But I know how to work on them and the in and out of them. I will always have a 2-stroke seadoo.

Having said that, we have decided that when my wife's 03' GTI dies she is getting a new Yamaha EX 4-stroke. She never rides fast or takes turns fast, she just likes to cruise and have it start every time with no issues. For her the EX is prefect as it is reasonably priced, super reliable and not too fast or flashy. It is literally the perfect ski for her, just add gas and go.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess we'll see how this story turns out. Haha. I rode a 787 powered GSX once and it just wasn't the same, otherwise I might look into that since they're theoretically easier to work on. The riding season is basically over at this point for me so I guess we'll see what next spring brings. Before long the snow will fly and I'll be snow skiing instead of jet skiing :D.

I've always liked having the motor under the seat, but I might be talked into getting an XP. Especially with the suspension seat.

I never liked the GSX hull. It wasn't as fun as an X4 and didn't handle the chop or hard turns as good as an XP 951. I guess it would be better with a passenger but that would be the only positive.

I feel your pain. I'm sure I spend more time wrenching on them than riding but that's part of the fun.

I feel your pain, been without my 2 98 gsx ltd for 1.5 months now, they share the same trailer so if one goes, the other goes with it. Just bought a new 2022 spark trixx.. sick of repair and down time, wasted a lot of good weather days sitting in the repair shop.

Two stroke for ever.but I've been working on them for over 30 years(yikes).but the problem I'm having is getting parts.i have a customers Rx di in my shop now all summer.the mag housing was filled with water and rotted the pick up coil and slotted timing mag.its an03 and nothing around even used.but I'll keep looking.i work full time and do the older ones on the side.but hopefully in a few years I can turn it into full time and work for myself one day soon

I never liked the GSX hull. It wasn't as fun as an X4 and didn't handle the chop or hard turns as good as an XP 951. I guess it would be better with a passenger but that would be the only positive.
Interesting. How's the storage space on the XP-L? Is it less than the GSX? Also, are there any major model year differences in the 1998+ XPs (besides the eventual introduction of the DI engine)? I could dump the GSX and get a cruising ski + an XP....

The 98 had alot of hull leaks and the huge air box recall.2000 they raised the rev limiter and peak rpms.the 2000 was the best looking year imo.the black yellow and chrome looked sharp.

I would say best years are 2000-2002.
The XP has basically no storage. A small compartment over the gauges and a tiny tray under the hood. Basically some sunblock, flip flops and an anchor bag and that is it.

Sorry, bit of a rant...

I love my GSX limited, it's fun, and the 947 engine is punchy and really makes it dance. However, I'm kind of feeling like I'm at the end of the road with the ski. It seems like every time I do maintenance it takes 5x the time it usually does. I think I've ridden about 10 hours this year, and probably put 80 hours of my labor into working on it. Even something as "simple" as rebuilding the carbs took me 40 hours.

Basically, here's where I'm at. I still have my lean running problem, but the thought of working around and removing all of those fuel hoses as well as removing everything necessary to get to the fuel selector valve is daunting to me. I also have 205 hours on the original crank and top end, which, if I keep running lean I'm sure I'll burn up a piston one of these days. I'm also down to 112PSI in both cylinders (though, I am also at 6000ft elevation so that does play a role in it). We all know that a top-end only job on a 947 just isn't going to happen. I don't really have all the tools, time, or patience to remove the motor and do the rebuild job properly. I love the ski, I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I wouldn't mind paying someone else to do the labor, but I haven't found anyone (yet) that will even look at a 2-stroke seadoo (though I haven't quite exhausted my options of repair shops yet).

Do I need to just cut my losses and sell the ski as barely running? What would I buy to replace it? I've been really tempted by a 2008 RXP my buddy has.
Thanks for reading, haha.
I would like to buy it, GSXL are all i rebuild and refurbish. These skis are the pariahs of 2stroke muscle and i love them like most people love xp800s.

They are not hard to work on at all.just got to learn how to bend your arms and wrist.40 hours to do a carb rebuild is hard to believe.use conventional tools no power tools all you need is a 6mm socket two ten mm wrenches a small Allen or 8 mm for choke rod.i can get carbs off the ltd in 10 min.you are getting frustrated and making it worse.now that's my rant.your lean condition could be pop off not correct or could be when you put carbs back on the intake has two tabs on each reed block.alot of times guys will put them on and not have the pins lined up and won't tighten down and have an air leak.the alignment pins are to hold the gaskets in place.relax count to ten lay out your tools and get in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back